Update!


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola!

Long time no blog! The last few weeks has been pretty good and not quite as hectic as my first few weeks! Two weekends ago we went back to Antigua and then to Chichicastenango which is known for it's big market on Sundays. It was crazy! There were people everywhere and some were carrying tables or baskets of chickens on their heads, very overwhelming at first. That weekend we said goodbye to one of our volunteers and also got two new ones!

Last week we didn't do very much teaching. We spent a few days making decorations and invitations for a big Mother's Day celebration they were having. Also on Wednesday there were no classes because the kids got their haircuts and nails trimmed and I got to help by putting anti-lice shampoo on their cute little heads! That day we also went to a little village outside of the city which is known for it's pottery and we got to see how they made it. We also bought the parts to make wind chimes for the ladies who work in our house and the office for Mother's Day. On Friday we celebrated Mother's Day. At school they put performed plays, songs, magic tricks, dances and some of the kids even rapped! All of the mother's came and watched and at the end they all had a big meal together! When we got back to the house we gave the ladies our wind chimes and some flowers too!

For the weekend we went to Lake Atitlan. We toured around the lake and explored two of the towns; San Pedro and Panajachel. We did a bit of shopping but other then that it was a relaxing weekend.

This week we've gone to a museum and at school we've gotten another class! We now teach the first grade, the second/third grade and the sixth grade. Today we learned about Maximon (or San Simon) and we visited a little church dedicated to him.

I know that everyone has been complaining about more pictures for my day-to-day life so I have decided to put a few on here. Enjoy! I hope everyone is healthy and happy! Lots of love!

Amanda


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The GirlsThe Girls
The Girls

Megan, Elizabeth and Mariah. Megan and Mariah have left already but Elizabeth is still here!
The New Girls!The New Girls!
The New Girls!

Elizabeth, Caris and Davlyn.


19th May 2008

Bonjour Amanda
Salut! I think what you're doing is awesome. Quel experience! I just got back from another Quebec trip and all went well. I love travelling and think what you're doing is such a good experience. It's something you'll never forget and I'm sure you've grown so much through everything you are doing. Cheers, Pam Garnett

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb