Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Women's shelterWomen's shelterWomen's shelter

There are only a few women's shelters in Guatemala - there is a need for more.
Went to Guatemala on a human rights delegation, "For Women's Right to Live." It was so intense! We met with family members who had lost a daughter, women's organizations that are fighting for women's rights - despite threats, and politicians and lawyers who blame women's death on women themselves (they didn't obey their husband, they cheated, they were prostitutes or gang members or their increasing rights make men retaliate) - that was simply incredible.

In truth, over 3000 women have been brutally murdered in Guatemala. Fewer than 30 cases have been prosecuted. Many of the women are housewives or students. If police find they have nail polish, sandals, belly button rings, or "short" skirts, they are labelled a prostitute - as if their deaths were justified.

While more men are killed in Guatemala, the rate of women's murders are rising faster. The murders are also more brutal. On average, 5 hours lapse from time of abduction to when she draws her last breath. She may be beaten, tied with barbed wire, raped, strangled, etc.
This year, a 7-year-old girl was raped, beheaded and left in the streets.

Some people blame the 36-year civil war - the brutalities are
Midwives associationMidwives associationMidwives association

Maternal mortality is also a concern in Guatemala.
similar and those soldiers still walk freely today. Others blame the police, the government's lack of commitment, women's lack of status, machismo. Guatemala ranked 95 on the Gender Equality Index of 115 countries. When I was there, men talked about being the head of household, hitting women when they deserved it, and keeping a woman inside the house if she was "too pretty." A woman I befriended told me she has a friend whose husband does not let her out of the house. It's simply incredible.

On the bright side, there are women's organizations working to improve women's status and educate the populace on human rights (like freedom from violence). They do face threats and harassment - they are very brave people.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

HospitalitoHospitalito
Hospitalito

Hospitalito is a hospital with foreign doctors. In 2005, Hurricane Stan sent tropical rains to the Santiago Atitlan area, damaging 100s of houses, killing ~200 people. Reconstruction is still on-going.
CafeCafe
Cafe

Feminist-owned (Sandra Moran) cafe in Guatemala City, where Liberals go for coffee.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb