Zaculeu


Advertisement
Guatemala's flag
Central America Caribbean » Guatemala
November 15th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


So on Saturday the 11th, we went to Zaculeu (meaning "White Earth" in Mam-Maya), which is just outside of Huehuetenango to the north of Xela. We couldn´t have been any luckier with the weather, crystal blue skies, not much wind, no rain, and warmth of the sun (but not too much). We got on a bus at the Minerva Terminal and to our suprise there was a TV and DVD player at the front. So instead of Ranchera music, reggaeton, or cheezy 80s music, we got to watch Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was great! In Spanish, but good nonetheless. I have never seen a movie on a chicken bus before, new experience.

So, guess what!? The person in control of the movie also happened to be the same person driving! Who knows why it wasn´t the condutor´s ayudante (helper) who only collects money and puts stuff on the roof, but we made it there and back alive. Good times.

The ruins were interesting, I had seen them about 3 years ago and not much had changed except the weather. The students who went were nice and interesting though and we had some good talks which made the trip fun. Then on Sunday I got to sleep in cause nobody signed up for the activity on Sunday which was going to the Chichicastenango market. So I proceeded to buy the Indiana Jones Trilogy (unfortunately in Spanish)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb