Lake Atitlan continued


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dock at our hotel.Dock at our hotel.Dock at our hotel.

View of the lake and one of the volcanos.
This morning we woke up jumping off the balcony into Lake Atitlan. Followed by a 3 hour hike to San Marcos, a nearby hippie down. (Here a 3 hour hike is considered nearby.) We hiked passed waterfalls, cornfields and small Mayan towns, along a narrow trail with a steep drop off.
We made it back to the hotel just in time for more balcony jumping and communal dinner by candlelight (with some of the best food we've had while traveling).
Ryan "didn't know that walking could be so fun" and managed to endure his Vibrams for almost the entire trek. The locals living in shacks along the 10ft wide narrow streets reminded him of Ios, Greece.
We both continue to struggle with "Guatemalan time" and their operational efficiency. Particularly in restaurants and with public (sometimes private) transportation. It's often quite entertaining.
We are lucky to be in such a beautiful place, which is half the price of the Super 8 in Ft. Lauderdale.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Beginning our hike.Beginning our hike.
Beginning our hike.

We saw many machetes but no banditos.
Hiking!Hiking!
Hiking!

Brad, Maddy and Lindsey while Ryan prepares to take a dip in the waterfall.
Rad. Rad.
Rad.

This little boy is the same size as the machete.
Jumping off the balcony.Jumping off the balcony.
Jumping off the balcony.

This is the BEST way to wake up in the morning.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb