Cemetery time!


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Good morning!Good morning!Good morning!

Waking up at Casa Del Mundo.
Today we spent our last morning at Casa Del Mundo and had our last jump off the balcony. Then we were off to Panajachel and Solola.
Panajachel is the main tourist jumping off point for Lake Atitlan, which is apparent from the large market. The market clearly caters to locasl with huge baskets of creepy dried fish and tourists with abundant Mayan crafts. Here, they embrace aggressive selling tactics as seen in the photo with Ryan.
Solola is a very authentic modern Mayan town, with a very unique cemetery. Our visit coincided with their annual fair which made for quite an experience. I never expected to see a merry-go-round assembled outside the entrance to a graveyard.
“The hand cranked ferris wheel was one of the more thrilling and scary rides” Ryan been on in a while. During our ride, we were cheered on and/or mocked by hundreds of Mayan children who were waiting for the much larger, adult ferris wheel to open.
Then back to Antigua for dinner and a few hours sleep before we leave from El Salvador tomorrow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Solola cemeterySolola cemetery
Solola cemetery

With a carnival in the distance.
Flash flood?Flash flood?
Flash flood?

Much of the cemetery was poorly constructed and/or maintained.
Some kids.Some kids.
Some kids.

Looking out over Lake Atitlan.
A butcher, I suppose. A butcher, I suppose.
A butcher, I suppose.

Many stones indicate profession - which all appeared to involve a meat market.
Solola's annunal fair!Solola's annunal fair!
Solola's annunal fair!

Why do they set this up ajacent to the cemetery? Odd.
Ryan making new friends.Ryan making new friends.
Ryan making new friends.

I believe we bought 3 bracelets from them in return for posing for this photo.


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb