Guatemala: Antigua & San Pedro


Advertisement

So we arrived in Guatemala city at 6am yesterday, absolutely shattered. We tried to get a shuttle bus from the airport to Antigua but due to lack of numbers we either had to pay more or find an alternative so refusing to pay the extra (the QS and the accountant in us!!!) we decided to make our own way to the dodgy bus station (read; dirt road lined with food stalls and chicken buses!) Anyway we found the chicken bus to Antigua (ancient American school buses crammed with as many people (and sometimes animals) as wish to get on, there is no maximum, they just keep piling them on!) The aisle between the seats was no longer visible and there were at least 4 people to each seat! Our rucksacks were on the roof but I have no idea how they stayed on considering the speed we were going at around winding mountain roads!

Anyway Antigua was beautiful; old colonial buildings, cobbled stone streets and surrounded by huge volcanoes (pictures to follow)! We were too wrecked to do much yest so strolled around the town went for a few afternoon drinks and battled to keep our eyes open until 6pm so we could go back to the "hotel" and get some much needed sleep! I say "hotel" as we decided for our first night to splash out and get a half decent place to stay to recover from the flight etc. The place was lovely and close to the centre of town, the staff seemed friendly til we got back yest eve to find that Pol´s phone had been taken from the room! Room hadn´t been broken in to so clearly one of the staff had taken a shine to it! anyway after much wasted discussion with security man with no English and telephone call with unhelpful manager we decided to call it a day!

We decided to leave Antigua this morning and are now in Lake Atitlan, very very beautiful! we have checked into more basic accommodation this time ($13 for the two of us), hopefully the staff will think we have nothing worth robbing!!! We are in a little village called San Pedro La Laguna and plan to climb the volcano here tmw! We´re also contemplating staying for an extra day or two and doing some Spanish lessons as our cupla focal and hand gestures will only get us so far!

Hope everyone is well, I´ll try put some photos up tmw!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



21st July 2008

Cool
O my god ye are there and seem to be doing ok, bit shit about Pol's phone but these things happen can not wait to see the photos honey say hi to Pól for me. Will keep you posted on the carry on of all the gang in Eire. XXXXXXXX
25th July 2008

Hi guys, Not sure if ye´got my previous comment...still not sure about this blog thingy, I prefer facebook myself & given that i´m sooo computer literate I feel ye´could have accomodated my exemplary skills & adhered to my request... Anywhoo, hi from Costa Del Sol. Tired enough from comcentrating on my tyan lines , other than that nil new to report although i´m sure that´ll change as the girls are having a BBQ next wémd...can hardly wait... Later guys Love Bobs

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb