San Pedro


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a very long night´s sleep in the shadiesh of rooms, Fay and I finally wake up. We both now have coughs and take it in turns, I cough the first half of the night and she continues in the early morning... We wander around town and get excited about the soy milk cafe as I can finally have cereal, but it turns out they have the milk but don´t serve cereal! After some last minute souvenir shopping, like we needed any more! We pack up and get a lancha (small motor boat) across the lake. This one is meant for comfort though as all the usual wooden bench seats have been removed and car seats bolted in their place. We are almost at San Pedro when the driver slows down, we think this is a very cautious arrival but turns out we have run our of fuel, so he tops us up there and then in the middle of the lake.
The scenery is stunning, mountains all around us and we bargain a deal at a hotel with balconies and lake views. Not the best rooms but we are used to dorms so don´t mind.
We spend the afternoon pottering
No idea what this man is all about...No idea what this man is all about...No idea what this man is all about...

but there were many like him!
about the town, its sandy streets are full of hippy kinds. I did plan to hike the volcano but as I´m getting no better and the cough is getting worse I decide to cancel. We sit in a restaurant looking over the lake, sipping tea. We even have to disturb their hour long staff meeting to pay! Fay has already gone back home to bed so Sarah and I decide to make our way back but get lost in the back streets, if you can even call them streets. Sandy alleys between houses and shops! We stumble upon a nice little place with a mojito happy hour so stay there for a while before going back to the hostel to open the rum. Once Fay and Nicki get up we get back to the restaurant, where an outdoor fire has now been lit, to have great thai curries. Then off to the thermal baths, they are actually solar heated so we have to wait an hour for them to fill one of the concrete pits for us. But when we return at 9 it is all candle lit and romantic, and far too hot to get in quickly! We disturb the peace for another couple, which must have been prunes by the time they left as they out stayed us and we drank rum for over an hour.
Overall a nice little town, a bit too laid back for me, not enough to do!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb