Lake Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Minerva TerminalMinerva TerminalMinerva Terminal

This is the Chicken Bus terminal were you go to catch a bus to just about anywhere. We caught our bus to Lake Atitlan from here.
We went to Lake Atitlan a few days ago because our life here is grueling. Actually, we wanted to take a week off of school to travel. We headed a few hours east to San Pedro La Laguna, a town situated on Lake Atitlan. The town is surrounded by mountain peaks and three dormant volcanoes. It is beautiful.

San Pedro has an interesting culture. A large part of the local population is evangelical Christian. On every third building you read a sign that says something like--

Only Jesus can change your life OR Smile, God loves you OR Never change, have a great summer (okay, they don't really say that one).

The other large part of the population is a combination of original hippies and their neo-hippy counterparts. What that means is that you can easily get a contact high just by walking down the streets of the town. It's a fun place. We stayed in a hotel right on the lake, enjoyed some great food, and met some great people...mellow people, but great. Enjoy the pictures!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

RainRain
Rain

It rained hard the first afternoon we arrived. The clouds roll in and you can hardly see the other side of the lagoon.
Street Turned to RiverStreet Turned to River
Street Turned to River

The storm was quite loud and we thought the noise was just from the falling rain. It turns out that the street outside our hotel turns into a rushing river during downpours. The noise we heard was that! Somehow the Tuk-Tuks (three wheeled taxis) still managed to get up and down the hill.
FishermenFishermen
Fishermen

Volcano Atitlan is the peak in the background.


24th September 2007

again wow
Ahhhhh!!!! The beautiful sights that you see when you run away from the reality of school to galavant the world. I am feeling restless here in litttle Laramie with the books and projects sitting in piles on my little desk. Unfortunately, at this time there is no escaping. Fortunately, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel getting brighter and brighter everyday my season is perseverance to the end. What will I do with myself in the next season that is yet to be determined. Either way I know it will be good!!!
24th September 2007

Whoa!
I am most impressed that the lead chicken bus is a MERCEDES BENZ!! You two really know how to travel in style! And, I think that frequent breaks from Spanish classes are necessary - NOT an option. Otherwise, from personal experience, internal brain implosions can occur. So...keep up the good work and play! You even can be bored if you want to!! (However, it looks too beautiful to be bored for long)! Much love, Mom :-)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb