Things, they are a-changing.


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Fuentes GeorginasFuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas

View on the way up to the springs.
Last Thursday, Macayla and I headed to Las Fuentes Georginas (natural hotsprings) where we soaked in hot, sulfurous water for two hours. However, the ride there was nerve-racking due to the fact that parts of the road were crumbling on the edges up the mountain. We made it there with all limbs attached and headed to the springs. There were three pools of varying temperatures and one pool was so hot that it was difficult to even stick a toe in it. We watched as locals jumped in and submerged themselves in it. When they came out their skin was beet red. Crazy! The other two pools were not quite as hot and we relaxed until the driver gave us the signal to leave. Definitely worth the trip.

Friday was the weekly cena (dinner) at Sakribal and we had typico Guatemalan food. Our dinner consisted of tomales made of rice stuffed with chicken, olives, and plums with a mole type sauce all wrapped up in leaves. It was interesting to say the least. The dinner was a farewell to those students leaving the school. They all gave speeches, long and short, depending on the level of Spanish they were at.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas

Patchwork quilt.
I am already fearful of the day I have to give a speech, scary thought. All in all, we had a great time socializing with students and teachers.

Homesick Macayla:
Macayla was still very unhappy over the weekend and began begging to go home again. I decided to find a place to stay that would allow her on WIFI day and night. So we left our homestay and are staying with a local couple who had a two rooms to rent with WIFI. Now Macayla can text her friends whenever she pleases. She has also decided to take a break from Spanish lessons this week, so I am going by myself currently. Much better than heading back to the States prematurely.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

A view on the way up to the springs.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Clouds coming in.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Man hauling large load on his back.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Macayla posing next to the very hot pool.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Looking up the mountain from the springs.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Macayla waving her hand next to a monster leaf.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

Macayla posing in front of beautiful landscape.
Fuentes GeorginasFuentes Georginas
Fuentes Georginas

The colorful dress of the locals.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb