LOVE XELAJU


Advertisement
Published: November 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

:):):)

Caras Alegres.. from our scavenger hunt
I am loving the opportunity to get to know so many different people here. It is incredible. I am living with 3 Guatemaltecos, a girl from Switzerland, and a girl from Germany. Sometimes our house has 3 languages going at one time. It is so much fun. Our two good friends (and fellow Caras volunteers) from Holland left last Saturday after extending their time in Xela by 2 weeks. I am still in contact with my host family that I used to live with- went there for dinner last week and to visit my host mom yesterday. And, I absolutely adore my Spanish teacher and her family. This is just an overview of some of the important people in my life here. God is so creative in the creation of people.

This week, I had a unique opportunity to interact with several of the women from the shelter in a different way. The women are taking turns going to a cafe on Wednesdays for an hour or so to drink a hot chocolate or smoothie and spend some time chatting. Since I work in the afternoons, this was my one chance to take the afternoon off and go. We went to a pretty popular cafe in Xela, one that I have been to several times, but the girls were SO happy. Just to order a beverage and share a few pastries made their day. The women that went were ones that I hadn't every really connected with, but sharing this experience has opened up new opportunities in understanding them and in their comfort level with me.

In Caras Alegres, we were in workshops this week, and my workshop was photography. It was a really challenging week as we had some of the more challenging kids in our group, BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT. The kids had so much fun. We spent the first day talking about what makes a good pictures and practicing with our digital cameras outside. Tuesday, we looked at their pictures and talked about them, and then handed out their one-time cameras. We had told them they would have their own cameras to take home to take pictures of their families, but when they had the cameras in their hands, they seemed SO surprised and excited. It was definitely one of my favorite moments of the trip. (THANK YOU SO MUCH MAST FAMILY- CAN'T WAIT
A new MamaA new MamaA new Mama

Ruth had her baby on October 25.. aduardo :)
TO SHARE THE PHOTOS THEY TOOK WITH YOU). Wednesday, we made frames for their pictures, and Thursday we had a scavenger hunt that was SO fun. Yesterday, they got to go through their pictures and put them in their frames. I honestly left Caras everyday completely exhausting because of breaking up fights, having kids mad at me, and trying to get them to calm down from the excitement of the cameras. Although I don't have a voice now (really only can whisper haha), I would do it again in a heartbeat. They now have pictures of their families, homes, friends, and Caras Alegres, and they had a chance to have a lot of fun every. afternoon. Tonight, we are taking 10 of the Caras girls who participate in ballet to a ballet show, and Friday we take the kids and families of Caras to the pools on the coast. I am realy excited for these special activities with them.

Last weekend, I got to go spend some time in Parramos, meet the new baby Merari Nirma, and visit the church in Parramos. It was so amazing to meet this precious baby and see her mom Nirma finally home from
Kite excursion with Nuevos HorizontesKite excursion with Nuevos HorizontesKite excursion with Nuevos Horizontes

Maria with the beautiful view of Xela
the hospital. They are such a family, and there is a noticeable difference now that they are all back together. The baby is still drinking special milk that they have to get shipped from the states, but she is healthy and growing and BEAUTIFUL.

Seeing Christmas lights up in the streets of Guatemala reminds me that I will be going home in one month from tomorrow. Please keep praying that God will open up opportunites to share his love in a new way with the people I have come to love here. Also, pray for my health as I am a bit sick and cannot talk. Tomorrow, my friend Joya and I are leaving to travel for a few days so hopefully this will be a good opportunity to rest and feel better. Thank you for your love and support. I'm so blessed to know such amazing people at home too!

I am including the Caras Alegres Christmas letter:

To whom it may concern:
Guatemala is preparing itself for a new Christmas season. Little by little decorations are showing up in shops and restaurants. Therefore, now is the time to start planning our Holiday season activities, which includes our biggest event of the year: The Christmas lunch.

This letter contains information about this event. Each year in the second week of December, just before Caras Alegres closes for 3 weeks, we host a family dinner. All families involved in the different projects of Caras Alegres are looking forward to participate in this event. Everyone is welcome and we’re expecting about 500 participants. The Christmas lunch is the year-end closer for the foundation and that’s why we take it on big. In addition to serving a traditional Guatemala Christmas dish, we take this day to overview the year. At the center of attention is our hard working team. We take time to mention the goals we reached and participants in different projects present what they have learned over the year. We’ll see presentations of ballet and karate class, Folklore dances, and we’ll sing together. Also, the podium is open for anyone who would like to speak up or present an act. This lunch will bring a whole neighborhood together. The connection with all involved is enormous. On this day you can feel Caras Alegres’ existence so intensely that it touches you with an incredible feeling deep inside. In other words, we’re not only celebrating the Christmas season, but also the fact that this foundation is making positive changes in the lives of participating families. Mostly importantly, the families make these changes themselves with just a bit of support from Caras Alegres.

To organize this big event, we seek donations. For a family of five, the lunch costs about $7.00. For this amount, each family member receives a traditional Christmas lunch: a glass of ponche (warm fruit punch), two traditional paches (spiced rice or potato mass with a fine piece of meat wrapped in leaves), bread and Christmas cake. In years past, we have been able to organize the lunch with sponsored money and, with your support, we hope to be able to do the same this year as well. If you wish to make a donation we kindly request that you send your money through the account of the one from whom you received this letter. (As an international organization, this saves international money transfer fees.) This person is currently working at Caras Alegres right now or he or she did earlier this year. Our volunteer will make sure your donation goes to the right place. We would like to thank you for your interest in Caras Alegres. We’ll keep you up to date about the Christmas lunch.

Team Caras Alegres,
on behalf of the women and children the foundation supports


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tiff and I after hiking Volcan ChicabalTiff and I after hiking Volcan Chicabal
Tiff and I after hiking Volcan Chicabal

There's a beautiful lake in the crater of the volcano


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb