Bed Bugs


Advertisement
Published: February 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our adventure thus far HAD been a relatively healthy one. At the moment, 8 out of 10 people are sick in one form or another. About 2 days ago people began dropping like flies, there are 2 people building stoves today and Jeff and I are not those two. We were told by the project that everyone gets sick in Xela, there is no way around it, but Jeff and I are getting back on our feet and will hopefully be fine by tomorrow.
Yesterday we went to the market in Chichicastenango. There were so many people and busses. It was interesting to see all the weavings and carvings, but neither of us enjoy bartering at all. The road there is a killer! Up and down and around the mountains for over 2 hrs, we made quite a few puke stops.
Tomorrow and Wed we will be visiting more communities and going to the hot springs just outside of Xela. Unfortunately Jeff forgot the camera connection, so we will be unable to download pictures for awhile until we figure something out. Xela is not our favourite city. There is not a whole lot to do and the streets are crazy, they have all these diagonal streets that come out of nowhere. We have been lost a few times, but I refuse to ask for directions (I´m sure that will change soon). I will not miss the bed bugs either, we are sleeping on top of 2 plastic sheets (Thanks Donna P. !) in our sleeping bags. The place is a very popular backpackers hostel and for 5 bucks US a night we can´t go wrong but, it is kinda dirty and there are like 3 bathrooms for 25 plus people, not so fun being sick here.
Anyways, I´m sure we will be feeling better soon (all 8 of us), there is lots of fun to be had.

Advertisement



13th February 2006

get well soon!
Hi Jeff and Amanda!!! Just been keeping up on your travels, and I know how brutal it is when you get sick :-S I hope you get better really soon!!! Mary-Kate
15th February 2006

Feel better!
Hey Guys. It is so great to be able to keep up on your travels this way. I am sorry to hear that you are sick but I guess it is part of the whole "experience". From your previous journals it seems as though you are visiting some amazing places. Can't wait to hear more from you. Take care, be safe, and get better soon! Sarah.
16th February 2006

Bedbugs
Be careful of the bugs. Tetracycline for bug induced illness.are you able to follow the Olympics? take care. Donna

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb