You've got to be flexible...


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Week 3 was pretty much routine more verbos and they are getting mas irregulares. There is a logic to some of the grammar, but not much to others. The school arranged for several good outings this week. Tried to learn salsa dancing but you all know that dancing is not in my makeup. I thought dancing was in the knees but this salso is all hips.

We also went to the Gallo factory which is interesting that the original Xela Cabro beer is still considered the better beer although Gallo took it over.

Another day we went to Fuentas Georginas. It´s a natural hot springs and a welcomed afternoon of relaxation. The park was green and beautiful which gave my sinuses a break from Xela.

We had the usual class night out on Jueves to cebrate those graduating on Viernes. There´s a guy who´s figured things out. He picks up our laudry at the school and brings it back the next day. He mentions his small restaurant just down from the school. When you go there for a bite to eat you see it´s a small bar at night. He keeps a tab for school students, so you can imagine he has a lock on our group of students. In talking to several students Coban kept coming up as a beautiful place to visit...green and lots of water. This sounds good to me and rationalize that it will give me a chance to practice the espanol.

Friday after school I went to San Marcos to visit Libardo´s folks. We had a great weekend. We immediately headed off the the grandparent´s rancho in the mountains. Tio Jorge has a 4 wheel drive and took us the back roads that included an amazing waterfall not to mention the vistas. It took us several hours to go a really short distance..it was rally slow going and gave the truck a challenge. The Rancho was amazing and Libardo´s family being amazing people. The Rancho is wonderful in it´s simplicity, kept immaculate...down to sweeping the earth. They have chickens and rabbits for meat, several fruit along with the coffe plants. It´s a miniature version of the coffee finca I visited last weekend. We also visited Roman´s Rancho, the picture of me and Jorge was in front of his Mother´s. Mass transit is amazing even in the most remote areas..you can get a ride to anywhere.

Then the folks took me to a day of cooling off at a waterpark and zoo. The bridge to the park was a little sketchy and Libardo´s Mom was a little unsure.

Lunes... Raul, Jorge and myself went to a mountain top to view Volcan Tajumulco. What a great drive and hike. Felt like standing on top of the world..pictures don´t do justice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb