Guatemalan Border crossing!


Advertisement
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Guatemala didn´t really start off too well as we got ripped off on our first bus trip from Ciudad Tecun Uman to Quezeltanango, Xela for short, when I say ripped off it was only a few pounds but it´s the principle that matters and it really pissed us both off. There was lots of argueing with the driver but it was his word against ours. Thats what you have to put up with at most borders because you have to get your head around the new currency and how much things cost. We have loads more border crossings on this trip so we have got to be more on our toes the next time or we will be out of pocket once agian! Also our first experience of the famous Guatemalan chicken buses, named because they transport people as well as anything else including goats and chickens. We even had chickens on our bus in boxes under the seats squarking away, I was so chuffed as we can say we have literally ridden on a chicken bus and on our first journey! The buses are all old and used American school buses and some of them still the original yellow colour. None of them are very comfy and you usually have to get at least 3 people on a seat and sometimes four. As the buses were designed for children the seats are smal and with no leg room at all you find your knees will be grinding against the metel seat in front of you. Unfortunately its the only cheap way to travel. Upto now the longest we have been on a bus is 10 hours and it was nightmare! It looks like we will have to do even more longer trips in the next few weeks. Can´t wait!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb