Saga continues on public buses


Advertisement
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just as I digested the short ride (My 1st chicken bus ride), the next chicken bus was kicked up multiple notches. This ride took us from Guatemala city to Panajachel. A smooth ride should take ~3hrs. Just to put things in perspective, I come from Japan who's got their train running on time down to the minutes. +/- 5min that I've been accustomed to in the US is pretty lax for me.

The bus left Guatemala City ~9:30pm. The bus was decently full. In the next hour or so, the bus was making its way out of the city, adding more passengers than it could hold. Driver and his helper was in perfect sync. Loading system is the same as in the city. The helper yells destinations for potential customers and help the driver maneuver through busy streets.

Being the super chicken bus that it was, it went above and beyond. As the bus went over a bridge, the helper hopped off the bus. Bus kept going pretty far. Since it was a busy bridge with huge crowd, I thought the helper left to stay in the city. As the bus was about to go under the bridge, the helper came running down from the bridge. The bus made a quick stop at the foot of the bridge. Behind the helper followed a family of five, carefully making their way down the hill with luggage.

Throughout the whole 5hrs of ride, people got on and off. 3 people on a 2-seater was a norm. A man even had his one leg on 1 seat, another on the other seat. The bus was so stuffed, I had no time for motion sickness.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb