Lago de Atitlan, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

During our Spanish Immersion course in Antigua, it was time for a 2 week break, so we booked a shuttle (Q100) to Lake Atitlan! On the list of the most beautiful lakes in the world, Lake Atitlan did not disappoint us. We arrived in Panajachel and were picked up by a Tuk Tuk and swept through the city to our Airbnb home. Cirilo was the perfect host there. He ended up watching our bags for us as we t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

PanajachelPanajachel
Panajachel

Waiting for our boat ride to San Juan. Approximately Q50 ($6.50) for a two way trip for one person.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

I finally made it to the town I have been most excited for. The boat dock is adorned with tassels, lights and bright colors. Such a nice welcome for visitors.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

The street of umbrellas is the first street after the boat docks. Even the road is painted here! There are many art shops with paintings, clothing and trinkets for sale along the street.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

The first street is the steepest. Once you make it up the street of umbrellas the other streets flatten out for the most parts. Each town is nestled amongst hills and volcanos so every day is a good workout.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Don walking down the street of hats. Again, the road is painted in bright colors and a canopy of lights, tassels, balls, and many hats extends the length of the street.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Off to the side of the street of hats is a outdoor basketball court with this stage area. A great place for gatherings, sports, and activities.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

The sports area near the street of hats. Don was invited by a boy to shoot some hoops. Then a couple young local girls joined in. Everyone was very kind, friendly, open and engaging here.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

The people are wearing masks!?!?!? During the pandemic all tourism was stopped to these little towns. In San Juan, they used this time to redo the mural artwork around the town. It certainly shows. There are many political statements hidden within the artwork.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

This is one of my top 3 favorite murals.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

My #1! Beautiful, simply beautiful.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Vibrant colors everywhere I turn.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

We took a stroll in the evening to see the street lit up. The nights get very active with vendors selling delicious foods in front of their homes in the streets and music is heard echoing from all directions.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Iglesia Católica San Juan La Laguna
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Street of hats at night.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

"The man of the house" is how he was introduced to us. He is the eldest of the Mayan family we stayed with. Here, he and his granddaughter are removing dried corn from the cob. He then bagged and weighed it in 100 lb sacks. Later his brother in law came by to pick the bag up to share with other family members. He carried it on his back with a strap that went around his head and under the sack to hold it steady. This dried corn is boiled in water, combined with lime (calcium hydroxide) to make tortillas.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

Indian Nose mountain hike. Don was escorted by "The man of the house" up a steep, grueling, 2 hour hike to the famous mountain in San Juan. Many take a shorting hike from a neighboring town or even take a vehicle to shorten the distance. Don however went straight up the steepest side. I stayed back at the house weaving, but he did say the views were breath taking.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

My teachers in weaving the Mayan traditional way. My teacher did not speak Spanish, only her native Mayan dialect, but we found a way to get the job done. The little girl was the best. As soon as I missed a step, she would jump in, correct my error and get me back on track.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

The work is difficult. After 3 hours of sitting in this position I felt it in my back, shoulders, and elbows. This lovely woman does this work all day long, every day and is training her niece to do the same work.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

We were getting to the end so she took over the weaving to finish it off. I was amazed that just 6 hours ago this piece of fabric was balls of cotton thread in a basket. I was so blessed to have the time to work with her and learn her trade.
San JuanSan Juan
San Juan

My finished piece of textile with my teachers. They were wonderful to work with and spend so much time with. Plus I get to keep my new piece of treasure I created.



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 14; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb