Altamira, Antigua, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Altamira viewsAltamira viewsAltamira views

Many large figures made out of natural products made us feel so small in this beautiful park.
We found the Altamira (Look High) park by accident and didn't regret it. A taxi took us up the long, twisted road to this beautiful park with outstanding views. Everything at the park is made from recycled items, painted decoratively, and shaped into natural eye catching art. There weren't many people there so it was easy to navigate around. Many restaurants, restrooms, and benches to rest at. In order to get views like this, the park is built on a hillside so there are many switchback trails leading people to the views and structures.

If you go higher, there is another park called Hobbitenango which is also very similar. We didn't have time to visit both parks but have heard great reviews about the other one.

3-4 hours is enough to cover the park, take pictures and play around a bit. The park is all about the views so there isn't much to say, just enjoy the pictures.

I love places that make you realize how tiny you and your problems are.

Michelle


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Altamira "Art"Altamira "Art"
Altamira "Art"

Many plant containers, bird feeders, and artistic structures made out of recycled items and painted colorfully. Nothing goes to waste in Guatemala.
Altamira "Art"Altamira "Art"
Altamira "Art"

Many signs with creative sayings line the walkways. This one was appreciated by me and translates to say "A smile costs less than electricity and gives more light".
Altamira viewsAltamira views
Altamira views

As you can tell I was scared as hell to sit on this. Barely holding onto a branch, this swing is suspended by a rope older than me. The equally old boards under my feet did failed to provide any extra security.
Altamira "Art"Altamira "Art"
Altamira "Art"

Again, each of these characters are made of recycled products. I hope you can zoom in and see the details!
Altamira "Art"Altamira "Art"
Altamira "Art"

A whole gym made of wood and rocks. We spent a few moments doing some reps. Then we realized the only other people using the equipment were children, so we moved on.
Altamira "Art"Altamira "Art"
Altamira "Art"

A few lingering Christmas decorations.
Altamira viewsAltamira views
Altamira views

It was incredible to see so many large flowers in total full bloom and it's early January.
Altamira viewsAltamira views
Altamira views

One of my most favorite features of the park was this large golden hand reaching out over the mountain. It is a little scary moving around in the hand, but we reminded ourselves to take in the view and enjoy the moment...then get down quickly!
Altamira viewsAltamira views
Altamira views

This is actually a sleeping giant on the side of the mountain. A person is roughly the size of his nose, just so you get a prospective of the structure size.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb