Flores, Guatemala


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we slept in late and then walked to Santa Elena for breakfast which is the town on the other end of the bridge to Flores island. We bought some water at the grocery store and caught a taxi to Ixpanpajul National Park. The cab was basically a motorcycle with a back seat. It seems most of the cab drivers have never been to Ixpanpajul and don't know exactly where to go. We arrived and paid and it turned out we were the only customers there. We spent about an hour and a half walking the path with the hanging bridges. Part of the way through we saw some monkeys sleeping in a tree. They were just flopped over the branches and one of them had a baby clinging to it. We went up to a look out and rested for a bit before making our way back to the entrance. Once there we got the girl working to call us a cab and enjoyed a Gallo beer while we waited. We had the driver drop us off at a mall right outside of Flores so we could look around. There wasn't much there and most of the shops were closed. We walked back over the bridge into Flores and went back to the hotel for a swim. It was 104 degrees again today so the pool felt great. We decided to be adventurous and eat at the food carts at the top of the island. We had quesadillas at one but they tasted like hamburgers because they had mustard and catsup on then. Not so good. Then we went for a walk around the island and stopped for some floutas at a table in an area where a bunch of locals had set up shop to sell their food. They were much better but cold. We finally ended up at a restaurant and had some nachos. We are headed to Tikal early tomorrow so we are calling it a night early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

PiñataPiñata
Piñata

We stopped to get some water and these were strug across the front of the store.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb