Blue wig day...


Advertisement
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Why did we ever agree to this??? After Fay wore two blue wigs as Marge Simpson on Halloween, we had been dared to wear the wigs on the local buses. We had a 13 hour journey ahead of us and a border crossing!
We got up early and started in a taxi to the bus station. The first bus was super quick to the border at San Cristobal but stopped a fair walk from the actual border. We had to walk through a market on both sides and were stopped at the border by officials. Funnily enough, they didn't ask us to take our wigs off. Another plus point was the significant decrease in sleazing from local men, instead they just asked us what country we came from. I think some locals actually thought it was our natural hair!!!
Over the border we get ushered in multiple directions, everyone wants us on their bus. We notice one leaving though and run for it, we assume this will be the first to arrive in Guatemala city, but are completely wrong. The driver stops in some packed little town to have his lunch, we barely move for over and hour so our fast start to the day is ruined. We arrive about 1 and stop in a locals place for the set lunch. It didn't look amazing but Fay telling me how is was so gross she was going to throw up in it, did not help at all!!! We get a taxi to the bus station but there are no buses for an hour and a half! So we have to sit around reading spanish cosmopolitan, I had forgotten how bad those magazines are. Fay got talking to a real life clown who made us a balloon poodle.
Finally on the bus at 4.15, too luxurious for us, freezing! Fay makes us play kids travelling games for a few hours, then we watch some awful films in Spanish. We finally stop at 8 for food, but they only have beans and rice left! Fay has a run in with a local over a slice of pizza... We are both so fed up and itching from the wigs that we buy lots of beer for the rest of the journey. Only problem is, the loo on the bus doesn't work. The driver nearly had to stop for us, but just managed to rush to the depot and speed us through straight to the ladies. It's tipping it down so we rush to a hostel and are asleep in minutes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb