San Salvador


Advertisement
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

San Salvador is only an hour from La Libertad so we arrive in the afternoon after leaving the beaches behind us. There are only 2 cheap hostels in the book so we get a taxi to the first one. Unfortunately, the woman takes our money before we see the room... it is a prison cell with barely enough room for the 3 bunks. There are 4 of us in the room so 2 bunks are used for bags.
San Salvador is an American's dream, very modern and full of fast food joints, at least 50 on the main road next to our hostel. We find a local's bar for dinner and then go to the cinema. We tried watching a film in the cinema but at 11 the woman warned us that is was nearly time to turn thr TV off, we said ok, there was only 15minutes left to find out who the murderer was. We turned it down so we could barely hear it and continued to watch the last few minutes. She obviously never went to manners school as she went into the next room and cut all of the power instead!
The next day our first plan is to check out! The other hostel is much more spacious and the staff are very friendly. We have a quick healthy breakfast and then get the bus to the bus station. We get a bus for an hour to Suchitoto. It's an old colonial town, very picturesque and full of local weekend tourists. We have a walk down the hill to the large lake and stop for a beer at a restaurant with a great view. Unfortunately the owner is adamant on talking to us and telling us 'jokes', so we leave quite soon. Back in the town we watch the tiny amusement rides which don't look like they follow any health and safety rules. Then cram on a bus back to the city. It is heaving so I have to stand but a local girl holds my bag as she doesn't like the thought of me carrying things and having to stand. Then some people leave and an old woman guards a seat for me. We get back to town about 6 and have a wander round the shops. Suddenly there is a firework display, we have no idea what for, but it's pretty stunning and lasts for ages. We then watch another film in the cinema, but back for an early night as tomorrow is the day of our blue wigs...



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rollercoaster controllerRollercoaster controller
Rollercoaster controller

slightly distracted by gambling
FireworksFireworks
Fireworks

The mode on my camera works great!


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb