Speaking of HANDS


Advertisement
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, March 12

The clinic in San Juan Sacatapequez felt welcoming from the first minute we arrived there: families camped out by the entrance gate, perched on benches along an outdoor corridor, and sitting on plastic lawn chairs in a holding room the size of a small gymnasium, waiting with the infinite patience of people who have little choice but to wait. The men were dressed as simple men everywhere, in baggy trousers and tattered ball caps. The women, however, wore the local costume of long, pleated skirts and embroidered blouses, their sleek, black hair tied back in a simple ponytail. These weren't the brightly-coloured Mayan women who posed for our photographs in the market place in Antigua. These were their faded cousins, in slipcover clothing and mostly unadorned except for the occasional pair of gold earrings. Most came in plastic sandals or flip-flops, but one woman wore no shoes at all. It was a big day for them. They had been triaged in October by Companeros En Salud (Partners For Surgery), a group which goes out into the community to find patients who need surgery, and they had been waiting all morning for our arrival.

Enter ordinary us. We had travelled over a continent and through the mountains, guarding our red boxes of supplies as if they were precious children. In Antigua, we had been briefed on what to expect but the reaction of the crowd caught us collectively off-guard. As we threaded our way through the gymnasium in a self-conscious line, the entire room fell silent. An old woman reached out to stroke each of our arms as we passed by. I felt the pinprick of tears in the corner of my eyes. Within the hour, the anesthesiologists were checking their equipment, the surgical nurses were arranging their tools, and the ward nurses were unpacking their supplies. The administration team was interviewing patients, working with translators speaking in Spanish and two Mayan dialects, Achi and Qeqchi, and the surgeons were examining patients in loosely curtained-off cubicles. I was kept busy organizing the charts of an impossible number of women, all called Maria.

By the end of the day, the operating rooms were ready, sixty patients had been interviewed and examined, and a slate was drawn up for six day's worth of surgery. We fell into bed, feeling many things at once -- exhaustion, primarily, and anticipation -- but also the satisfied sense of having made order out of a whole lot of chaos.

Maybe not so ordinary after all.




.




Advertisement



22nd March 2011

I'm going to see if their is a language course at our community college giving instruction in Achi and Katchi.
22nd March 2011

Speaking Hands
Oh Liz doesnt it make you feel good to be able to help those people. Kindness is such a healing medicine. What do these people do without volunteers. So good to hear from you. Love Betty
22nd March 2011

Another world
Hi Liz and Ron, As always, Liz, you brought your journey to us in a most vivid way. What an amazing experience being amongst all those 'hopefuls' but also knowing that you made a difference. I would call that EXTRAordinary.
23rd March 2011

Maria
In the age of virtual everything, where it is so easy to believe that one has experienced something, been a part of some event, when the event is light years away, it must have been extremely high definition to have been in that clinic and met so many women named Maria. Carolyn
23rd March 2011

Adventure
Hi Liz, Finally, I have found a moment to read you most interesting blog. It is indeed an opportunity of a lifetime to be involved in a mission like this. It must be both exhausting and overwhelming. Looking forward to hearing more. Lesley [Wood]
23rd March 2011

Wow, not ordinary at all. It sounds like an amazing experience.
25th March 2011

You nailed it!
I always write about my trips, but your prose is a whole lot more professional; I go for the zingers. This is a beautiful beginning and I hope there will be more. And I'd like to tell you both what a pleasure it was to have met and worked -- and played -- with you both. I emailed the stuff about France Sud this morning. If you don't get it or can't open it let me know. There's more where that came from. Happy day! L, J
25th March 2011

compassion
My heart is stretched with tenderness, compassion and empathy for the people of this region. The gratitude shared and the compassion expressed between the patients and the medical team is palpable through your words. This exchange of heart and care is what we are on Earth to do. This journey for all involved is a blessing that will change lives and open hearts for all concerned. I hope that the surgeries and recoveries are successful. My heart is with you all ~

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 30; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb