We're here and we're blue!


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arriving at the airport 840Arriving at the airport 840Arriving at the airport 840

Look at all the luggage. Each of our suitcases, medical supplies, instructor's packets, etc. Several suitcases.
We're here and we're blue from the paint. We've been painting 2 classrooms in the Utatlan school in Quiche, This school has many students, two classrooms for most grades, age 3.5 years to high school. Students come from all over Guatemala, and some even from near the Mexican border. There are dormitories for the older students.

So, how did we get here? We flew to Guatemala City, ate lunch at McDonalds, and drove 3.5 hours to Quiche in west Guatemala in the mountains. (It was Jose's idea to go to McDonalds whenever he comes to G. City.

The drive was wonderful--we saw city and countryside. We are now at about 6,000 feet above sealevel. The flora in the mountains is similar to the Appalachians or Ozarks, but different. Bushes that look sort of like rhodendron or mountain laurel and the ferns and evergreens. We also saw the stucco houses in traditional communities, and the later, smooth and whitewashed stucco of more modern communities. Lots of small farms.

We are in Quiche and have traveled to several schools to do puppet shows, and pass out supplies to the instructors and some candy and shampoo, etc. to the children. They
McDonalds in Guatemala CityMcDonalds in Guatemala CityMcDonalds in Guatemala City

Jose wants to eat at McDonalds in Guatemala City and he is one of our hosts. We enjoyed it.
love it, so we have a lot of photos of the trip so far.

I will write more later. I want to get back to painting walls. We are in the internet cafe across the street from where we are working.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th July 2006

puppet shows...
What do the puppet shows teach? What do they consist of? Just curious. I am sending my love to you and Gailey! =)
9th July 2006

Greetings
Greetings from Atlanta: Have been working in Nan's campaign some. The Sierra Club, AJC, Creative Loafing have endorsed her. Things look pretty good. Keep your fingers crossed. Love, Mary.

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb