We leave tonight--or is it tomorrow?


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We leave tonight--meet at the church at 3:15 AM to catch the 6:30 AM flight from Phila to Miami. Then fly from Miami to Guatemala City. It's an hour drive to the airport, plus we have a crowd--always takes longer. My sister and I are all packed. Every little thing was debated--should I take the converters? One book said the plugs were the same as ours in the US. Is this too much detergent? Every ounce counts when you are carrying your own bags.

We anticipate working hard. We will be painting a school in Quichi (sp?) soon after we arrive. We will be giving puppet shows to several schools; sometimes doing 2 a day. I have my old pants, shoes, shirt and work gloves packed. The two big suitcases of supplies are already in the car. Now it's nap time to prepare for getting up early.

The next pictures will be from the airport and actually from Guatemala. I will be able to update this blog at the internet cafe. (See picture from last trip on earlier entry.)

Observing the varying cultures in Guatemala will be interesting. I just finished reading a murder mystery set in Guatemala City and in the mountains, Grave Secrets, by Kathy Reichs. If you like CSI and pathology, you'll like the book. ;-). Law and Order, the TV show, is even mentioned in the book.

I also finished reading the Lonely Planet guide to Guatemala. (That's a great travel series, if you are going anywhere.)

More will be coming later.



Advertisement



3rd July 2006

Thinking of you ...
... as you settle in. Hope the trip went smoothly. Things in Atlanta are at a warm, sleepy holiday pace for the 4th. Kind of nice. Good luck with painting, puppets and all that you are experiencing in Guatemala. Love, bw
4th July 2006

necesitamos aprender Espanol
Buena Suerte. love - j

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb