Guate, Guate, Guate


Advertisement
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pieter really wanted to visit Guatemala City but I wasn't too interested because of the reported crime but we trotted off there anyway for a day trip with reduced valuables, just a few hundred Quetzels and the camera. We caught one of the pretty chicken buses from the market in Antigua. Had to check the destination as they were just yelling 'Guate, Guate, Guate' for the capital. The bus took each sweeping curve in the windy road at full speed. Just about feel off the seat. We had to take a taxi to the centre of town and didn't piss around getting one knowing that a lot of crime happens around the terminals.

We found a rather big and interesting tourist market behind the cathedral which kept us entertained until the National Palace opened at 11 am. We didn't know why but when we entered the palace we followed a bunch of other tourists to a beautiful courtyard. Still not sure what was going on we sat down on some seats and watched while a ceremony started. There were a bunch of kids with aids t-shirts. Pieter reminded me it was aids awareness day. There was a sculpture of hands and part of the ceremony was having a white rose sitting in the hands replaced with another white rose. Only when it was finished did a lady explain the ritual was performed every day since peace treaties where signed here in 1996 at the end of the civil war. This was the Plaza of Peace. We followed a Spanish tour around the palace having some bits translated by a lady who was also translating for her German husband. The president had built the palace back in the 30's to his own fancy. His name was Jorge Ubico and with 5 letters in his name many features of the building came in 5's. 5 doors, 5 arches, 5 stories. There were some beautiful murals.

We visited the cathedral which was all white inside with old oil paintings of biblical scenes on each column. Out a side door we saw a sign for a museum. It had a complicated name but suggested religious stuff. Bit pricey at Q$20 (US$2.60) but since we were destined not to find any more museums in town that was fine. Most interesting were the bloody handkerchiefs. It was said that nuns left the marks that made
The National PalaceThe National PalaceThe National Palace

The Plaza of Peace
patterns of religious significance. Kind of a miracle. Kind of gross.

Wandering the streets of downtown we found the city quite pleasant and safe feeling but still wouldn't want to be hanging around at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 105; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb