February? Must be time to get travelling!


Advertisement
Published: January 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Oh no, it's snowing. It must be time to head off into some sunshine.

We plan to visit three Central American countries that are all new to us - Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. Each country spans the width of Central America from the Atlantic to the Pacific and each country is about the size of England.

Guatemala is the most northerly. Here we will be staying in the old capital, Antigua before heading to Panajachel on Lake Atitlan. A bit like the English Lake District but the mountains are volcanoes!

Travelling east, we will cross into Honduras. Our first planned stop is at Copan and its ancient (1500 BC!) Mayan ruins. Copan is also in the middle of the jungle, so we'll be looking out for monkeys, sloths and parrots too. Then onward to the Atlantic coast where take a ferry to the Roatan Islands.

Then south to Nicaragua. We plan to visit the old colonial cities of Leon and Granada before staying on an island in Lake Nicaragua. Ometepe island is, basically, two volcanoes but only one is active, so that's OK then.

We will break out flight home with a final week in Miami for a little R&R!

More soon from sunny Guatemala.

Alistair and Gill

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb