The streets are alive....


Advertisement
Published: April 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back home again in Antigua after 10 days in the Lake Atitlan/ Panajachel area. Antigua is gearing up for the full court press of processions, alfombras, and probably a million people visiting a very small city. The pickpockets have most likely moved in and the police and militars are out enforce on just about every street.
Tonight is a chidlren's procession. It is deligthful to see the (mostly boys) dressed in their purple robes and flowing white headresses running down the street sometimes eating an ice cream cone. Some are as young as 2 years old. All have a name and placement tag dangling from the front of their gowns.

The processions are run like miltary manuvers. Each participant has to know where he will stand, when the carriers will shift, and at what corner he needs to be waiting. The planning that goes into the logistics for each procession takes a year to bring to fruition. Some of the processions go through the steets for 8 - 10 hours. Those are tired little puppies when they are finally finished.

Each float or 'anda' weighs several thousand pounds and each person carries about 70 pounds of weight. I am assuming that the children's floats will be smaller and lighter. All the carriers do a sort of swaying motion when the processions stops to keep the momentum going. There are several 'pushers' that, well, push the rear of the float especially around the corners.

Each family takes great pride in participating in. The family we lived with a few weeks ago was very proud that their great grandson was only 8 days old when he was in his first procession. in all they had 4 generations marching.

Truly it is a marvelous spectacle and for many an act of great sacrifice and faith. put it on your list of 'must sees'.
Carolyn


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb