Antigua


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello from rainy Guatemala. What a crazy first few days we had here. After the first worldness of America Guatemala was like entering another world. We had a long long ride with one of our spanish school teachers from Guatemala City to San Pedro on Lake Attitlan. It took about 4 hours longer than usual because we got stuck in a traffic jam waiting for a protest to disperse. Never saw the protest - the traffic jam was too many miles long!
The next day we were straight into learning spanish, fun and challenging but hard work! We soon discovered the mother of our host family was a brilliant cook. Had 3 square delicious guatemalan meals a day, all with tortillas of course! The second day we were there Pacaya blew its top. We knew nothing about it till the next day as we were several 100 miles away but the school was full of it. The next day the rain started and didn't stop till Sunday. We assumed this was the rainy season but we were assured this was "no normale", turned out to be tropical storm Agatha!
When the rain finally stopped we got to explore San Pedro and in the next few days we saw how beautiful the lake really is. After a week of spanish classes our heads were full and we took a few days in San Pedro for a holiday. We climbed a local peak called Indian's Nose which gave us a fantastic view of the lake. There were a few landslides but the path had been repaired more or less. The geologist we went with gave us a great talk about the local area too. All too soon we were headed off to Antigua (after a failed attempt to drive to Tikal...long story involving irish people).
Antigua was the most civilised place we'd been so far, lots of old colonial buildings and nice hotels. We wandered about in the heat and had gelato, and explored local villages and macadamia farms on a bike tour. Now we've escaped into the hills for a few days. With a fantastic view of Antigua and its surrounding volcanoes, Earth Lodge is a getaway with treehouses (where we're staying), dorms, and cabins. Still a work in progress while we've been here its been great chilling out with the staff and other guests. Today Marshy got the fire going in the home made sauna and we sweated it out for an hour or two before cold showers all round! Chilling out here for a couple more nights then off to El Salvador for the weekend to learn to surf. Although before that a local guatemalan has made us promise to go out salsa dancing....we'll let you know how it all goes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ilena and LorenzoIlena and Lorenzo
Ilena and Lorenzo

Think I've spelt her name wrong!
Public transport...Public transport...
Public transport...

The back of a pickup!
Indian's nose climbIndian's nose climb
Indian's nose climb

Matt the geologist giving his talk.
Indian's nose climbIndian's nose climb
Indian's nose climb

Marshy n Heloise make it to the top
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

Central park
AntiguaAntigua
Antigua

an arch


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb