Standing in the Sky


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

4am Gringa4am Gringa4am Gringa

The van for the airport picked us up at 4:00 am. I'm awake and ready.

The blue was expansive. It felt like I was at the beach and I could simply wade into the sky. After trekking 2 miles in the humid jungle and climbing 166 steps, I was a the top of tower four of the lost city of Tikal. The feeling was both fierce and gentle. Even my eyelashes felt alive.

Maybe you know the feeling that a physical place can create. A place that expands, relaxes and rejuvenates you. A place that erases trivial worries. A place that causes your soul to ask, “How did it get here?”

Some of you feel it in Yosemite. Some of you feel it at Tahoe and in Maui. Some of you feel it looking at the Pacific. I have never felt it as strongly as in the lost city of Tikal.

Built by the Mayans, these huge temple towers dwarf the TransAmerica Pyriamd. Their engineering and construction, a supernatural phenomenon. Their abandonment, a mystery.

Standing on top of the living quarters in the large compound, my legs shook with energy. This place felt familiar.

The existence of the soul is unprovable. It’s journey unmapable. Sacred literature differs on its destination.
In the CloudsIn the CloudsIn the Clouds

A tiny, plane took us the 45 minutes to Tikal in the north west part of Guatemala. The pilot was young but expert. I didn't feel the landing.
But if the soul lives in more than one physical body, and has more than one lifetime, mine recognized this place. I came back to a place I’d never been before. Images of another time swirled around me. Color, movement, activity. Familiar. A part of me knew what life was like here. Perhaps that explains my connection with, and love for Guatemala.

Perhaps I’m just crazy--- and that explains it all.

Either way, I love the way I felt here. On top of the clouds. In the Jungle. Wrapped in humidity and self-acceptance.

The pictures and notes will take you step-by-step through the experience of Tikal I had in this life.


More blogs coming,

Adios,


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Tower TwoTower Two
Tower Two

Once in the park, our guide took us through the jungle to first tall tower.
Sacrificial RitesSacrificial Rites
Sacrificial Rites

It is believed theses towers were used for worship and that the Mayans sacrificed humans to appease the Gods.
Face JewleryFace Jewlery
Face Jewlery

This is a 10 foot face carved out of limestone found in one of the living area. Notice the large ears with holes. The first face jewerly. This guy could work at Starbucks
Tiny MeTiny Me
Tiny Me

If you enlarge this picture of the living compound you will see a white dot at the top. Thats me.
Standing in the SkyStanding in the Sky
Standing in the Sky

166 steps to the top of Tower 4 and a view of the world.
Nicole Makes it to the TopNicole Makes it to the Top
Nicole Makes it to the Top

My Casa Mate Nicole, is not fond of heights. But she is fond of adventures. And was a great traveling companion,
The Sky as Wide as the SeaThe Sky as Wide as the Sea
The Sky as Wide as the Sea

Drifting and daydreaming at the top of Tower $
View from the TopView from the Top
View from the Top

Of tower 4 over the jungles of Preten.
YES!YES!
YES!

We made it. 4 hours, 2.5 miles in the 90 degree heat and humidity we explored the entire park of Tikal
Jungle ClimbingJungle Climbing
Jungle Climbing

The next morning we climbed the top of the highest tree house ever.
VerdeVerde
Verde

The color of the jungle.
Cuidado CynthiaCuidado Cynthia
Cuidado Cynthia

Cuidado, Caution Cynthia! Can you believe people here warn me when I'm crossing streets and descending stairs.
Jane of the JungleJane of the Jungle
Jane of the Jungle

Nicole poses for a quick picture with her jungle vine.
ReliefRelief
Relief

The pool at the Tikal Inn was as delicious and refreshing as the food.
Bananas Bananas
Bananas

grew outside our room
Jungle AnimalJungle Animal
Jungle Animal

A coati, an animal half racoon, half ant eater trolled for garbage. We also saw tucans, monkeys and spiders.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb