Travels in Guatemala (Antigua)


Advertisement
Published: January 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Antigua is only about an hour's ride by bus from Guatemala City. It was founded in 1543 and, along with Lima and Mexico City, was one of the grandest cities in the Americas. For more than 200 years, it administered a region that stretched from southern Mexico to Costa Rica. By the 1700s, the city had been devastated by earthquakes but was always rebuilt. In 1773, a powerful one destroyed much of the city and the government was moved to its present site in Guatemala City. Today, Antigua retains much of its colonial character because it was abandoned. The ones who stayed behind could not afford to tear down existing structures and rebuild so many of them were repaired. Later, laws took effect to restrict commercial development and, in 1972, the National Council for the Protection of Antigua was formed to restore the ruins, maintain monuments, and rid the city of billboards and other modern intrusions.

Due to its 5,000 ft altitude, Antigua has a pleasant climate that attracts tourists from all over the world. Couple that with its charming atmosphere and slow pace of life and you have a combination that's hard to beat. It's a photographer's dream as one can walk down street after street and take photos of centuries old buildings. There's a park in the center of town that seems to always have a lot of activity with places of business centered around it. A catholic church runs along one side. There is an abundance of hotels, bed & breakfast, restaurants, internet cafes, tourist agencies, and other places of business which cater to the tourist's needs. For those desiring to learn Spanish, Antigua has a number of Spanish immersion schools. Stroll down Antigua's cobblestone streets and relive the past as the city once was centuries ago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb