Getting a Pool Side View of the Surfing at El Tunco


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 800 (08.06.09) and Day 801 (09.06.09)

From Roatan we were making our way all the way over from the Caribbean coast to the Pacific coast and some relaxing beach time in El Salvador. You may have noticed a fair bit of relaxing time in the past couple of blogs, sorry if that makes them a little boring to read! We had planned to travel the northern part of Central America in our usual style by taking in as many places as we could in the time that we had. And we started in just that way until we reached Flores in Guatemala. Neither of us had been feeling 100% for a while, little problems were annoying us more than usual and we weren't as excited about the whole travelling lifestyle anymore. We realised that we were just really, really tired. How can that be? To all intents and purposes, aside from a few months working in Melbourne, we've been on holiday for just over two years! But moving on every couple of days and cramming in the sightseeing had started to take it's toll on us. We scrapped our original Central America plans and picked just a couple of places that would offer us some chances to chill out and reenergise.

We made our way from coast to coast in a seemingly haphazard zig-zag fashion leaving Roatan on the 7am ferry and travelling via La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula on hot buses. We completed our first day of travel in the capital of Honduras, called Tegucigalpa ... guaranteed we wouldn’t have known what that Trivial Pursuit answer would have been before the day had started!

After a night in a hotel near the bus station (a particularly dodgy part of town) we resumed our bus travelling at 6am with a direct bus across the border to El Salvador's capital, San Salvador - two days and two capitals, not bad! We had wanted to go to the town of Perquin that was once a stronghold in the recent civil war in El Salvador but found that it was a little confusing to get to. In line with our recent trip philosophy in favour of relaxation we decided to pass on it and head straight to the coast... its been a long trip!

A taxi and finally two chicken buses later and we arrived at El Tunco a little surf village on the opposite coast to where we had begun our mammoth two day trip. Glad that our travelling was over (for now) we unpacked in a really nice place called La Guitarra and went for dinner and a beer at a restaurant overlooking the waves crashing onto the beach.

Day 802 (10.06.09) - Day 809 (17.06.09)

With relaxing truly top of the agenda we spent 8 or 9 days (we lost track after a couple) lazing by the pool, reading in hammocks, walking on the beach, watching movies, checking out the pro's in a surf competition at nearby Punta Rocas and even having a go hiring a board for an afternoon. All in all there was little we did that was not aimed at using as little energy as possible! We left feeling thoroughly refreshed for the last few weeks of our trip.





Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb