Mons Oscar Romero


Advertisement
Published: October 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Seeing the chapel where Mons Romero was shot while celebrating Mass was inspirational. At 6.30 pm on 24th March, 1980, as he prepared the gifts for the Offertory, Archbishop Romero looked to the back of the chapel only to see his assassin pointing his gun at him. His last words were 'This is my gift'. It is little wonder that he became a target in the Central American setting of that time, seeing he was so insistent on justice. At Sunday Mass, for example, he used to name people from across Central America who had 'disappeared'. The government of that time did not want to be shown up!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The chapel at the Carmelite Hospial for Cancer patientsThe chapel at the Carmelite Hospial for Cancer patients
The chapel at the Carmelite Hospial for Cancer patients

Mons Romero was standing behind the altar when he was shot from the back of the chapel with the gunman taking aim from within a car.
My GuidesMy Guides
My Guides

Carmelite Sr Maria Lydia showed us around the Chapel and House where Mons Romero lived and prayed. Brs Roberto Linares (left) and Alex Pervi acted as translators.
The Tomb of Mons RomeroThe Tomb of Mons Romero
The Tomb of Mons Romero

Mons Romero's tomb is located in the crypt of the San Salvador Cathedral. For a while it was located at a side altar in the Cathedral.
Mons RomeroMons Romero
Mons Romero

The house where Mons Romero lived is located adjacent to the Chapel. The blood stains can be seen on these clothes and robes the Archibishop was wearing when he was shot.
MiraclesMiracles
Miracles

Many people have claimed miracles through the intercession of Mons Romero. A plaque is placed adjacent to the House in acknowledgement of these identified miracles.
Mons RomeroMons Romero
Mons Romero

His bedroom reflects a simple life - typewriter, tape recorder and telephone. His homiles have been compiled. She spoke regularly on the radio. A photo of Pope Paul VI stands on his side table.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb