Blog #1 Old Habana!


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba
January 25th 2015
Published: January 27th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our journey for 2015 has begun! We began in Cayo Coco, Cuba where we spent a week at the Tryp Resort for our neice's wedding. Rene and Jason were married in a tropical setting along with 70 guests from home to celebrate. It was a fun week with friends and family and a truly beautiful wedding.

Unfortunatley this blog is not up to date. The wifi in Cuba is very scarce and where available is very expensive so I am publishing our Cuba blog from Mexico.

We flew from Cayo Coco to Havana on Air Aerogavatia which was about an hour flight. We landed at a domestic airport which used to be a military base. We were met by our taxi driver which was arranged by Daniel who is the property manager of the bed and breakfast that we booked. These quaint hotels in Cuba are called "Casa Particulaires" and include a house keeper who cooks you breakfast in a common kitchen and dining area. It's like having your own home! There were only two other rooms in the casa that were occupied by a nice couple from Germany. "Hostal Plaza Vieja" where we stayed was perfectly located in the heart of Old Havana on the corner of the famous 500 year old Plaza Vieja. We were within walking distance of all the main attractions and really enjoyed strolling along the cobblestone streets taking in the sights and sounds of Havana.

Havana itself has a population of 2.5 million and is a mixture of black and Spanish people. Old Havana is a very vibrant city with never ending plazas, squares, grand hotels, casas, bars, cathedrals, palaces, museums, restuarants and shops. The colonial architecture is absolutely amazing and many date back to the 16th century. For any of you who have been to Old Havana you know how spectacular the buildings are.

The highlight for us had to be the live music that resonated from the open air bars and restuarants. It seemed to be a mix of jazz and Latin American style. The musicians were top notch and we really enjoyed our evenings sipping on a cuba libre or cristal beer listening to the lively music.

Of course the city was full of old cars from the 40's and 50's and it was like stepping back in time. These cars were imported during that era by the wealthier people and abruptly stopped with the revolution when Cuba stopped trade with relations with America. It's hard to believe these cars still operate, however you often see them at the side of the road with the hood up and a Cuban trying to repair it! Many are convertables that people have turned into taxis that will tour people around the city. There are also lots of horse and buggies and bicycle taxis available for touring.

The cuban people in Havnan are very friendly and ready to help you anytime. We made friends with some local people next door who spoke good english and were always willing to lend a hand. However they did sell us a few Monte Cristo cigars! The people appear to be healthy and happy. There are a few beggars but poverty doesn't appear to be an issue. I suppose in a communist country all the people are looked after but just can't get ahead. The most imprtant factor in the Cuban economy is tourism which opened up in 1980. We were told at the resort by some waiters that everyone makes about $20-$30 per month whether you are a doctor, lawyers, engineer or waiter. Many professionals choose to work in the tourism secots because of tips.

We took an open top double decker bus tour of New Havana. While not nearly as impressive as Old Havana it was interesting to see. We did see the original forts on the harbour that were built to protect the city from pirates. As well we drove through a district was some beautiful mansions that used to belong to wealthy Americans back in the 50's. Of course they went back to the states after the rebellion and they are now used for government buildings.

The cuban food so far in our mind is okay. Certainly not the most favourable. However, we found the meals at the resort quite good. Chicken, pork, fish, rice, beef, eggs. toast, pizza, cuban sandwiches cabbage salads and tapas pretty well sum it up. The fruit is fresh and quite tasty. They sell popcorn, peanuts and little pastries on the street. As well, the cafe americano was excellent!

We had pretty good weather. Not too hot but warm enough to be in tank tops and swim suits at the resorts. All and all a fantastic time. Looking forward to our tour of western Cuba which starts tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb