Cienfuegos


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Cienfuegos
February 25th 2013
Published: August 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Departure day. We were lucky because we had a full group we had our own bus to take us all the way through to Baracoa which was really nice because we stayed with the same driver, were able to spread out on the bus and also leave belongings we didn't need on there.







We were supposed to go to the Che Memorial at Santa Clara today however Tony realised it would not be open so as a group we decided that tomorrow we would backtrack to the memorial from Cienfuegos before continuing onto Trinidad. Tony arranged for us to have a walking tour of old Havana as there was more to do and see in the area than in Cienfuegos. Saw much of the same stuff as yesterday but the group was a lot smaller and the guide really informative so it was a really good walking tour. Enjoyed it much more than the one I had yesterday.



After departing Havana we drove to Cienfuegos and had a walk around the town. In some guide books and travel blogs I had previously read Cienfuegos was the pits of Cuba, really boring etc so I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised.



Following the walking tour we went to Palacio del Valle to watch the sunset from the terrace. We had to pay 2 CUC to go up. This included a Cuba Libre at the terrace bar. Really pretty views of the bay. We were a bit too early to catch the sunset however but had a few drinks getting to know each other and enjoying the view.



Ricardo then drove us back to the area we were staying and majority of us had our first Casa experiences. Again very pleasantly surprised. There are great to stay in. Our Casa was beautiful. Right on the water. Alana, Rocco and myself were in the same Casa. We were a bit further away then everyone else but the view was totally worth it. We watched the sunset from our balcony terrace before meeting back up with Tony and the group to go to a Paladar for dinner.



We were never forced to attend any meals together but most nights we all tried to eat together or eat at our Casas the same nights which was nice.



The paladar was really nice food and cheap. I think 10 CUC all up for 3 courses.



Following dinner majority of the group returned to their Casa's. Jess, Rocco Alana and myself went with Tony and Riccardo to see what was going on around town. To be honest there wasn't a lot. Cuba seems to have lots of shortages of things depending on where you are. For example in Baracoa there was no eggs so we brought heaps of eggs with us. Tonight, in Cienfuegos, it was beer. Not really a problem for me as I don't drink beer. Tony found us a bar and Jess ordered a Vodka. $3 CUC. Much to our surprise though in exchange for that 3 CUC we walked away with a whole bottle of Vodka and a bottle of Coke.



We did the Cuban thing and went to the seawall AKA Malecon and mixed our own drinks there having a chat. The vodka was a little nasty but we did a really good job of getting through it. It wasn't a late or trashy night, just a nice chilled hangout. No hangover the next morning despite the quality of vodka. 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb