A blast from the past.


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Centro » Trinidad
February 10th 2010
Published: December 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It’s challenging to describe Trinidad and not come across as an insensitive person but I guess the most effective way of stating them is to elaborate our experience as truthful as we can.

After spending most of our time in all-inclusive areas, we set our sights on Trinidad, situated East of Varadero and Habana. We knew little of it nor have a clue what’s it known for. All we banked on is the idea that if it’s outside all-inclusive areas, we would hopefully get a better perspective of the real Cuba. As we drove along the paved and un-paved roads, loads of hitch hikers waited along. Our guide put it quite eloquently if I may say, “hitch hiking in Cuba is a national past time, almost comparable to Baseball”. He mentioned the wait can go long as 1-2 hours, coupled with an additional ½ to 1 hour of commute that’s roughly ¼ of your day wasted on the road (no wonder why it’s considered a past time).

We arrived 5 hours afterwards and as we started to stroll around town, our initial moments of Trinidad left us in a peculiar state. If you had a chance to catch a “Back to the Future” movie, that same ordeal was running through our minds as we digest every bit of info. I wasn’t born in the 50’s, so I probably don’t have a great insight on how things were during those years but to my mind, the town by far was like frozen in time (for lack of a better term). The surroundings are ancient (cobbled streets, deteriorated houses, ran down automobiles and etc). We stood there reveling on the fact that such a place still existed in this day and age; were internet, smart phones and cool techie gadgets exist.

But besides the non technological atmosphere, something unique and profound exists. A character that Cubans possess, live life to the fullest and to continually see things in a positive perspective.

One has to wonder how things will change in years to come, once the Castro influence slowly trickles’s down and a new breed of leaders step up to the plate.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb