Days 24 - 25 Camaquey


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Centro » Camagüey
December 1st 2015
Published: December 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Another chaotic bus terminal start to the day for our 5 hr trip to Camaquey. Once moving the outlook was a little more scenic with distant hills receding to more flat land with grazing & agriculture. Giant coconut palms thrived. Bus driver seemed to make unscheduled stops along the way to buy produce like peanuts & beans which will no doubt be onsold in smaller quantities for a fat profit in his home town.

A learned tip that has worked well so far is to request our accommodation host to meet us at the bus terminal so as to avoid the stress of trying to find an address in an unknown city with heavy luggage & harassment from the waiting touts.

We were unsure about visiting Camaquey as it is often bi-passed by tourists but we have been pleasantly surprised. Long abandoned tram lines run along the cobbled historic old town streets. The town was planned in a deliberately irregular and confusing pattern hoping to disorient any would-be pirates but to me seems easy to work out.

The town appears to be quite affluent & as much a working town rather than relying on tourism. For the first
Street art of CheStreet art of CheStreet art of Che

Statue's, street art & quotes by both Che & Jose Marti (another freedom fighter) are everywhere but very few of Castro.
time we found a reasonable restaurant that sold local meals in local currency along with western type food in the tourist currency. The difference is astounding ie 25 times less expensive using $us as a measure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb