Liberia, Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Note

Pictures to be posted at a later date.

Bienvenido a Costa Rica

Surfer dudes, bird nerds, hiking fiends, mountain trekkers, back-to-the-land nature fanatics, beach bums and party animals all seem to have found something in common in Costa Rica. The waves are prime, the natural beauty is staggering, the pace of life slow, the beer plentiful and the locals friendly. A stronghold of peace in a region torn by strife, this tiny nation attracts a stream of more than a million eager visitors every year. The country stands apart from its Central American neighbors on various points. The first is that it has no army. Armed forces were abolished after the 1948 civil war, and Costa Rica has avoided to despotic, dictatorships, frequent military coups, ism and internal turmoil that have plagued other countries in the region. Costa Rica is unique globally for its enlightened approach to conservation. More than 27%!o(MISSING)f the country is protected in one form or another, and more than 14%!i(MISSING)s within the national park system. Lush jungles are home to playful monkeys, languid sloths, crocodiles and caimans, countless lizards, colorful poison dart frogs and a mind boggling assortment of exotic birds, insects and butterflies. Endangered sea turtles lay their eggs on both coasts and cloud forests protect elusive birds and jungle cats. Thrill seekers fly through the forests on zip lines, peer into active volcanoes, surf over-sized waves, scuba with sharks, dolphins and whales and come face-to-face with poisonous snakes - all in the course of a normal day. Besides, if you have some serious chilling to do, you can always sit on the beach or a mountaintop and just enjoy the pure life, or pura vida - a local expression that sums up the desire to live the best existence.



Intro to Liberia

Liberia, the provincial capital of Costa Rica's most important northerly town is a ranching center and transportation hub. It's also a good base for visiting Rincon de la Vieja and Santa Rosa national parks. While Liberia itself isn't dense with tourist attractions, it is an exceedingly likable town. Lunch hour is still sacred, and you can expect most businesses to close. The Calle Real, south of the parque central, has a row of surviving colonial structures (now landmarks), that is fast turning into a backpacker alley.



Our Experience

It took quite a while, but we finally arrived in Liberia. Our first order of business was to find ourselves a hotel, and the bus port was pretty far from the center of town, so we quickly got ourselves a cab. The first place we wanted was full, but our second choice worked out just fine. Once we were settled in, we quickly realized that, as usual, we had to change times (I think this time it was an hour back). Every time we've crossed a border we've had to change times by an hour one way or another. Kinda strange, eh? You'd think all of Central America would either want to be on daylight savings time together or be off daylight savings time together.

We were both hungry from a day of travelling, so we grabbed an early dinner (yay Pizza Hut!), found an ATM (this took longer than it should have considering some ATMs take neither Lila's MC nor my Visa, and some just take mine), found some ice cream, and finally found a place to get online (this place was great ... it had A/C).

We walked around for a bit, saw the town square and its odd looking cathedral (which Lila said looked like an IHOP), and called it a day (there's not that much to do in Liberia; it's mainly either a base to go to the Pacific coast or a simple stopover for the night. We used it as a stopover.

After grabbing breakfast and picking up our now clean laundry around 9 in the morning, we decided to try and make it all the way to La Fortuna. We mentioned this to the guy who ran our hotel, and he said it wasn't possible. According to him, we would have to change buses twice before we made it to the nearest city that had a bus to La Fortuna. This was basically our situation: we had three hours to make two 2 hour bus trips, and we had no idea how long we'd have to wait for each bus. If we didn't make it in three hours, we would miss the last bus for La Fortuna. Did we make it? We'll see...

Up Next...

Our journey to La Fortuna, Costa Rica.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb