Costa Rica!!!


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica
December 19th 2008
Published: December 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monte VerdeMonte VerdeMonte Verde

Amazing greenery!
Hola!

Arriving in Costa Rica was quite a shock. Yes, we are still in Central America, but immediately you can feel the difference from the northern countries... Costa Rica is relitively expensive and totally geared towards tourists. People accost you on every corner with information and hostel or taxi, or any information at all - and then demand a tip. The local currency is also difficult to get accustomed to. It is now about 550 to the american dollar, so we are dealing in thousand and everyone is aggressive and largely out to scam....

But, at the same time, we could immediately see the wealth in the country too. The streets are clean, there are garbage bins around - and more impressively, people actually use them! People are well dressed and driving nice cars and sporting brand name clothes, and most importantly, the landscape and natural beauty is abundant and stunning.

Once we had crossed the border, we made our way to a Turtle reserve in the far stretches. Staying up all night and combing the beaches for hours on end, we had to be satisfied with the one and only sighting and an enormous turtle making her way back out to the ocean after laying her eggs. And, of course, we did see the turtle reserve people take some tiny turtles, freshly hatches and only an inch or two long, and send the out to the ocean... amazing to think any of them might have a chance at survival! And sadly, we couldnĀ“t get any photos of them...

After the turtles, we made our way over to Monte Verde... an amazing Cloud forest full of Sloths, Monkeys, and a few million insects... not to mention all of the flora and gigantic plants. We even managed to go on a night hike and find a few taranchulas in their holes... so what else is there to do but find a cricket and give it dinner?!

It really was amazing to be in the misty and tropical-fairytale-like forest... and we all had to pull out our rain coats and warm clothes - for anyone who complains about the rain in vancouver, it is nothing compared to Monte Verde!!!

More to come...

TD xx



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

More Monte Verde...More Monte Verde...
More Monte Verde...

seemingly impossible to capture through a lense!
Fresh water...Fresh water...
Fresh water...

and the air was incredibly fresh too!


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb