Semana dos


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hola amigos y familia,

We currently are chillin' 30 feet from the Pacific, watchin' the tide come in, cocktail in hand. Pura Vida! Our second week in Costa Rica was drastically different from the comforts of Peninsula Papagayo. We have covered a lot of ground using various means of transportation, no donkey rides yet, but hopefully soon. We spent a few days in Tamarindo aka Tamagringo. Nice place, sweet beach, but very Americanized. We then slid a little further south down the Nicoya Peninsula to Santa Teresa, a great little sleepy surf town. As it turns out, Becky and I are the only gringos in Costa Rica that aren't covered in tats and have dreads, at least not in the surfer towns. I spent an aftertoon surfing, caught some nice waves, severely abraided a nipple and a few days later got a wicked ear infection. Thankfully we came prepared with antibiotics and pain meds. Rough couple days for me as it felt like someone was driving a railroad spike into my melon via his left ear. Onto Montezuma then, "chasin waterfalls". Spent one afternoon hiking up the Montezuma river to Montezuma Falls, a beautiful 40' waterfall deep in the jungle. Admired the falls, swam, and decided to return via a different route-bad call. We found ourselves lost in the jungle for a bit, eventually found our way out with only minor scrapes and cuts. It was some real Indiana Jones shit. The next day we walked a few hours down the beach to El Cebollo Falls, one of only 7 waterfalls in the World that fall into the ocean. It was a spectacular site and we had the place to ourselves for over an hour. We hiked all around and above the falls and soaked in the tide pools below. We then took a pretty rough boat ride across the Nicoya Gulf to the city of Jaco. Avoid this place at all costs if you ever venture to Costa Rica. It reminded us a lot of Cancun, souvenir shops everywhere, super shady locals pushin' whores and drugs, a KFC and Pizza Hut as well. The only thing missing was a ton of obese burnt Americans with cornrolls and 3 ft. Hurricane glasses. We were out of Jaco in under 24 hrs. and headed to Manuel Antonio, the start of our ecotourism. Spent a morning in Manual Antonio Reserve, where we saw Howler monkeys, tons of Capuchin monkeys, a lesser anteater, deer, agouti, and most importantly, a few three-toed Sloths. The sloth is truly an amazing animal. That brings me to our current locale. Yesterday we took a great boat ride down the Sierpe River to a tent camp on the Osa Peninsula. We have a spectacular set up, right on the ocean and we are the only two staying here. We went snorkelling today off Cano Island and saw huge schools of Barracuda, Milk fish, and Needle fish in addition to thousands of other little colorful fish that I don't have the faintest idea what they are called. Unfortunately no sharks or rays, which is what it is known for. Tommorow we head into Corcovado National Reserve. The reserve is supposedly the only untouched part of Costa Rica and is billed as the most biologically diverse place on Earth. We both have been looking forward to this and are very excited about the adventure. Overall we are finding Costa Rica very enjoyable. We feel safe, the people are very friendly, and the food is excellent. The only drawbacks are that it is very difficult to get from A to B, and that it is pretty expensive. I hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Pura Vida, Sky and Becky.

PS. Forgot to share that both of us have spent a glorious night on the toilet, thankfully not the same night. And also that I have grown a mustache, obtained a second passport, and am travelling under the alias of Larry Hustler.

Advertisement



21st June 2012

I'm hoping it's Sky that grew the mustache and is traveling under the alias of Larry Hustler :)
Hey you two! So awesome to hear about your adventure. I have to chuckle reading your blog because when "roughing it" we do tend to learn things the hard way sometimes, but it sounds like you have managed just fine. It does get a little confusing who is writing the blog in parts, so I wanted to make sure it was Sky that grew the mustache and not Becky! ;) Heading to Telluride for the Bluegrass Festival tomorrow which will be awesome, but I'd trade places w/you in a heartbeat. Miss you! Safe travels!
21st June 2012

Great entry!
Loved this blog entry! You had me giggling several times, and the English teacher in me appreciated the juxtaposition of the three-toed sloth and your "relaxation" activities only 30 feet from the Pacific. Can I tell you both how jealous I am. Oy! Need more pictures, though. I am, after all, living vicariously through The Adventures of Becky and Sky. Take care, enjoy more food, and keep the great blog entries coming. I love you both! ~ Sarah
23rd June 2012

Enjoying the armchair travel - Thanks!
Thanks for sharing your trip with the rest of us. I think you're both very brave so I am enjoying the trip from my armchair. Please keep up the blog. Is there a chance of any more photos, please? I hoped we'd see one of El Cebollo Falls. Stay Safe!
25th June 2012

Pura vida!
Finally got around to checking out the blog. Glad to hear your adventure has truly begun, that is to say you're out of Tamagringo (nice nickname btw). I'll definitely be checking back here soon :). Ciao!
1st July 2012

Wow
Fantastic sunset pic! You should submit somewhere...or make a postcard from it.

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb