Lazy, Hazy Days


Advertisement
Published: January 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After our exciting excursion to Isla Tortuga we decided a couple of quiet days were in order!

Friday found us catching up on our emails, reading, and tidying up. We hit the beach around 11:30 for a couple of hours then decided to start the walk into Montezuma where we would spend the afternoon and have our first dinner out. We began walking on the dusty road and as the dilapidated bus rounded the bend behind us, we opted to flag it down. We wandered into a few shops and then followed the road that runs parallel to the beach. Along this road was a vast array of homes, from beautiful, large casitas that were immaculately groomed, to shacks that looked like they would collapse in the wind. We continued on until we reached the turtle conservation area. Just as we got there, a set of eggs were hatching! The two young volunteers, an 18 year old girl from the States and Noah, a young boy from Santa Fe, New Mexico were excitedly counting, measuring, and cataloguing the hatchlings. They then headed to prepare the shore for the young turtle's journey to the sea. First, they rake an area of about 10x20 and dig two troughs along the sides with their heels. As the crowd gathered, they began to release 79 Olive Ridley sea turtles. It was an amazing sight as these tiny turtles instinctively head to the water. It was like a race, some climbing over others, some directionally challenged and needing a helping hand to go straight. As the waves washed them out to sea we were warned to not move as the currents would scatter them back to shore and they didn't want them stepped on. They told us that only 1 to 2 out of 1000 would survive. Explains why they want to preserve these tiny creatures and give them a fighting chance. Just before we left another group was getting ready to hatch. The sand under the protective netting starts to cave in. The next batch would not be long behind the first one! While there, we met up with the man we travelled with on our very first shuttle and had a nice chat with him. He told us that one of the first nights he was here he had gone down to the beach and, in the light of the moon, had seen a female laying her eggs. The volunteers were trying to coax her to the nesting area. If the female doesn't go, then they just move the eggs to the fenced in space. It was a very interesting process to watch and we were glad that we just happened upon it at the right time.

We then went up to a nice restaurant overlooking the beach for a beer. Later, as we wandered around, we ran into John from Victoria B.C. and told him about our snorkelling adventure. We ended up going for drinks with him and while sitting and chatting the skies darkened and lightning was seen over the water. I invited him to join us for dinner, as he is travelling on his own. We went to Los Cocoroles which is an outdoor restaurant recommended to us by our hostess. We enjoyed wonderful chicken fajitas and grilled squid. Curtis was thrilled to find out that there is a local brewery in Cabuya and on the recommendation of the waiter, had one of the beers that they craft. As we feasted, the skies opened and a torrential downpour ensued for well over an hour. Apparently this is a very rare occurrence in January! When the rain ceased we half expected humidity to be gone. Nope. Guess that doesn't happen! We enjoyed an after dinner Limoncello, compliments of the house. Shortly after we hailed a cab and returned home.

This morning we rose early as it was cleaning day for our bungalow and Market Day in Montezuma. We went to wait for the bus where we met up with Glen and Gabriella from Barrie and 4 ladies from the Okanagan Valley in B.C. We enjoyed sharing stories and discussing the area. Soon the bus rattled along and we piled on. Curtis and I moved to the back of the bus. As I went to sit down, I got the biggest scowl from the cutest 5 year old Tico boy! He was none too pleased that I was sitting beside him. I casually started picking toys out of his bag. As I held them up and examined them he become my friend. He talked incessantly to me. He demonstrated how his plane transformed into a robot. He named each toy and taught me the colours of them. His beautiful brown eyes and big grin warmed my heart. He did not care one bit that I did not speak Spanish and he didn't speak English. We were able to communicate through our actions. I did manage to remember how to ask what his name was and he proudly told me, "Alberto Phillipo ------". There were about six more parts that I could not catch. We also determined he was from Cabuya and his father was still there and not the man driving the bus as I had surmised. I had no idea where his mom was until we got off the bus. He was adorable and for a brief moment I really missed my kids.

We made our way to the parkette where the market is held and waited patiently for the young girl I met last week to open her very unique booth. She is the one who uses the skins of animals that she finds on the road to add to her jewellry. She remembered us as soon as she saw us and excitedly brought out 3 new bracelets she had just made from iguana skin. We loved them and she told us she would finish one for Curtis that she still had to thread. We bought some very healthy juice called Kombucha and chatted with people we knew. The lady with the fresh produce soon arrived and, as last week, everything was laid out on ground. We probably bought more than we needed but it all looked so good. I snatched up one of only two bunches of radishes that are the size of apples, or as my mom pointed out, the size of a Howler Monkey's jewels! We returned to pick up Curtis' bracelet and to have mine sized. The exquisitely beautiful girl, Jessica, was so sweet and gave us a good deal on all the things we had chosen.

We soon left the market area and stopped for a smoothie at a local restaurant. We watched with avid interest as a group of 16 police officers gathered beneath the palms on the beach. This is really the first police presence we have observed. They stopped some guy on and had him empty his pockets. They kept him for a whlle. Don't really know what was going on but it made for cheap entertainment while we waited for the bus.

After arriving back home we then made out way to the beach to relax. It was glorious! After an hour the clouds rolled in, giving respite from the hot sun. We watched the fishermen as they brought in their nets of sardines while their dogs ran playfully through the surf and sand. A surprisingly large number of people were down at the beach, tourists and locals. What a wonderful place this is!

Of course tomorrow we look for the micro-brewery in Cabuya!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0969s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb