wild wednesday


Advertisement
Published: January 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Came back to the gift shop to finish our entries for you guys. Hope you like them....they cost 1000 colones for every half hour!

Ok, so back to Tues nite and dinner. So we ate at this place...a local establishment..."Angles", which was situated on the main drag here in town....and in the back yard were the nino's playing, and with the eldest in the kitchen cooking(she was all of 14). Presumably the father was our waiter who spoke VERY little english....THANK GOD for peter! He is truly amazing with his language skills.


We were one of 3 tables being served...the first were two fishermen and their costa rican guide, there was us and then, there was this odd man that walked in and first spoke spanish to the father...then, made a phone call on his cell and spoke russian....and, amidst the russian conversation he broke into the "cheers" theme song. very odd...retired KGB we're thinking. After his phone call, he made arm waving motions over his "book" as if trying to conger the text out of the book and onto his plate of black beans.

Once being served our food, peter and danny discovered their black bean soup was very mysterious. it contained exactly 3 black beans, some sort of mushroom, cheese ball thing and a stringy black that at one time must have been a green vegetable...or the sole of the father's shoe. this soup was in additon to their main meal...and, not wanting to ruin their appetite, peter and danny sampled the soup, leaving it for the main course. the father, came over to danny and while clearing all of our dishes, grabbed danny's bowl and replaced it in front of him, telling him to finish the soup. all to danny's shear delite. YUM!


Wild Wednesday....danny to take over typing now....

WE Decided to EXIT the Comfort Zone of the past 5 days and rent a car. We awoke with a yen to see other regions of Costa Rica, Jilly has co worker who's daugter owns a bar in Jaco, about an hour north from Manuel Antonio. Think Datona Beach-Third world style. Plenty of Surfers, internet cafres, black beaches and gringos. MUCHOS gringos.

The SUV (jill picked out) was delivered to the hotel and with three sentences of directions for the day we were on our way to explore the deserted beaches along the way to Jaco. Jill in the drivers seat (really?) and I with her handy dandy laminated for all weather map. It seems our girl doesn't like to ask directions. We couldn't get out of Quepos (the town next to Manuel Anotonio where Jill is thinking to hide out from the law if you remember). She kept turning and saying " I'm taking THIS road!". I kept looking at her in disbeleif as we passed by the Alamo rent a car for the third time and I offered a suggestion of STOPPING to ask directions...She continued to "I'm taking this turn...this road...we'll be fine." With map in one hand and a half bottle of rationed water in the other I prayed to the Goddesses to save me from this Lucy & Ethel episode sans grape squishing.... Low and behold after a 1/2 hour of gravel romote driving we merged onto "highway" 34. The road we had been looking for. Jill of course said." I figured all roads lead somewhere." And so they did.

We glided across the listing one lane bridge with gaping holes on either side...gators below... the rusted mettle pipes that made up the deck of the "bridge" jiggled and groaned below us. Along the way there was three more of these. Each with it's own special construction. OH that central american engineering. What a treat.

You've heard of remote beaches and how there will be no one around in brochures for fancy hotels...but we found TWO beaches along the way where Jill & I were the ONLY people for miles on beautiful black sand beaches...The Palm Plantations in the background and nothing but a long stretch of beach, huge rolling waves and gliding pelicans over the breaks. As true North Easteners, we were unnerved by our solitude and were sure some tico was lurking behind the palms waiting to slash our tires and steal what was left of our now 1/4 bottle of rationed water. The water was soooo warm and sooo frothy. Incredible. We stayed about an hour at each beach, Palo Secco and Playa Bandera. Getting to them from the main road was no easy task for our girl Jill. For the most part, we stayed in second gear, mind you, the only rental was a five speed stick...

We were amazed at the poverty of the surrounding flatlands. Boxes with tin roofs a few palms and the essential TV antena. Jill Kept saying " tell me they don't know." and I would say " But we do." Most people road bikes in the mid day heat. All the young women looked like they would fit right in NYC the way they were dressed. All while they road on the dirt paths they called roads.

Back to JIll now...(Peter and Mark, by the way were lying somewhere on a beach surrounded by naked men frolicking in the water....)

As we traveled and saw tourists, danny came up with a game we played..."gay or euriopean?" and "lesbian or Des Moines Iowa?" you'd be surprised how difficult this game really is and how often we were wrong...damn those straight mid western women and their comfy style!!!

Once in Jaco we found the bar right quickly....we had 2 beers at the "Monkey Bar" and ordered 2 quesidillia's and nachos....things are rather cheap here...the beers and the food were 9100 colones or about $20. we left soon after eating as the town was not for us...too many gringo's and trinket shops. we made our way back, amongst the new condo's being thrown up hether and yon...asking price $350,000....yes, american dollars. we made it back in time for our daily sunset ritual at the infinity pool(hint hint jimmy).

for dinner we ate at "plimio's"....basically a fancy "tree house restaurant"....sooooo beautiful and dinner was exquisite.

the nite ended with mark taking a swin and peter dangling his feet in the water....as jill and danny went out to "tutu's" for a drink. it has for us turned into cruisin....as when we walk in...we know numerous people....and become the specticle...either because we are the loud americans or probably because we are JUST FUN!!! and people LIKE us....damn it! 😊

today our adventure is the canopy tour which we have been talking about all week...and you cant stop time and the day is here......YIKES.

our day started with breakfast at the pool....(jimmy). showering, interenet access, pool again and then suit up for our pick up at 1pm!

addios for now....

Advertisement



19th January 2006

??
ok, wait, are we gringos? or are mexican people gringos? and why were there too many? becasue it was a touristy place? or beacuawe it was a "locals" place? kri-kee i need to get out more!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb