Looking for just the right place


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dr Norma Natalia Carrillo and MeDr Norma Natalia Carrillo and MeDr Norma Natalia Carrillo and Me

Dr Norma Natalia Carrillo and me with the tide out in Golfito's bau behind us.
I had not visited Latin America since 1970. In 1970 and before I frequently traveled to Mexico’s southern Pacific Coast and to Guatemala. My means of travel then was the Mexican bus system and hitchhiking. I stayed for long periods of time and enjoyed it immensely. I painted many watercolors on these trips.

What is Mexico like today? When I see it on the television news it seems crowded and overly concerned with making tourists feel like they are visiting Mexico but still sleeping at home.

My wife Susan and I decided to fly down to Costa Rica and spend a couple of weeks on its Beaches and to enjoy its people and food. She had been there before. Susan and my daughter Casy Dare visited my son Davis, who was spending a semester studying Spanish and surfing.

When we arrived at Juan Santamaria International Airport, we decided to rent a car and meander around. We did just that and found areas that are wonderful to us. Susie saw many engrossing natural sights and I painted watercolors and got recharged. We visited with interesting people. Ate many wonderful casados. Drove around exploring areas and are considering living there.
Dr Manuel Fernandez and Dr Norma Natalia CarrilloDr Manuel Fernandez and Dr Norma Natalia CarrilloDr Manuel Fernandez and Dr Norma Natalia Carrillo

Dr Norma Natalia and Dr Manuel Fernandez having dinner with Susie and Me.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mosquito SecurityMosquito Security
Mosquito Security

Our home-made mosquito net at the Gaviota.
BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Our favorite soda in Golfito, Dos Pinos.
Painting in GolfitoPainting in Golfito
Painting in Golfito

Susie shot this from the opposite side of a garden. I trying to explain my efforts to an art critic.
Golfito Planter Golfito Planter
Golfito Planter

A palm growing in, (through), a car
Missing BridgeMissing Bridge
Missing Bridge

The small bridge that usually stood here had been washed away.
Susie shoppingSusie shopping
Susie shopping

We purchased fruits from this colorful roadside vendor.
Susie shopping 2Susie shopping 2
Susie shopping 2

A tighter angle on the vendor in his colorful roadside stand.
A tentative stream crossingA tentative stream crossing
A tentative stream crossing

This small bridge was very shaky.
Watercoloring at Manuel AntonioWatercoloring at Manuel Antonio
Watercoloring at Manuel Antonio

Me, painting on the beach at Manuel antonio.
Susie climing up to our roomSusie climing up to our room
Susie climing up to our room

Our room in this hotel just south of Quepos, was in the middle of a garden on top of a hill.
Agua para Manuel Antonio, Agua para Manuel Antonio!Agua para Manuel Antonio, Agua para Manuel Antonio!
Agua para Manuel Antonio, Agua para Manuel Antonio!

There was a demonstration for water rights by the people that lived between Manuel Antonio and Quepos.I joined their barricade closure of the only road.
Off-Road SueOff-Road Sue
Off-Road Sue

Susie on the balcony of our lofty hotel.
Off-Road Sue charges toward a narrow bridgeOff-Road Sue charges toward a narrow bridge
Off-Road Sue charges toward a narrow bridge

Susie driving along the narrow road back towards Heredia..
Off-Road Sue challenges the giat semis on the narrow roadOff-Road Sue challenges the giat semis on the narrow road
Off-Road Sue challenges the giat semis on the narrow road

Susie blasting past the giat trucks onthe narrow road back towards Heredia.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb