Sing


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post


River near Sierpe
Having read that the Osa peninsular is one of the last great jungle destinations in Costa Rica (and maybe the whole of Central America) we thought we ought to visit. However we need to compromise, so can just go to Drake Bay for a couple of days. To really experience the area we would need to travel into the national park here, but we don’t have the time to do this (and it is not cheap once you add in the cost of park fees, park lodges and guides).

We have a good room in the main village, but it’s unfortunately close to the local karaoke bar so we are kept entertained by singing until about 1:30am.

There is an excellent walk we do from the village and though it does not go into the park it does pass through a reserve and some old growth forest. The path takes us about 5km west from the village and follows the coast. We pass a number of great little beaches and turn back when we reach the river Claro. On the way back we stop for a swim and find macaws feeding in the trees by the beach and a

Beach at Drake Bay
little further on track down a small troop of howler monkeys.

Drake Bay is certainly a good place to visit. It’s not quite as isolated as it claims, but the journey here feels like an adventure. It is a 1 hour boat trip through some scenic mangrove swamps and along the coast. There is road access, but it is not the preferred way in – especially in the wet season - as it requires several rover crossings.

This is our last stop in Costa Rica and though we haven’t been here at the best time of year it has still been an enjoyable couple of weeks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Bahia Drake beach


Crabs at Bahia Drake


Rio Claro point



Macaws feeding


Ants at work


Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb