A BRAND NEW PUERTO LIMON PORT COMING SOON?


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A brief description of Puerto Limon






If you have never heard of Limon before, it means that you have never been to Costa Rica.

Indeed, Puerto Limon is one of the oldest cities of the continent, and has been exporting fruits and other typical products for almost two centuries! Located on the Caribbean coast, Limon is the capital of Limon Province is around 160 kilometers away from San José.




We cannot really define Puerto Limon as a touristic place, this city got its importance because of the strategic location and because coffee and bananas exports used to be the first income of Costa Rica, which is tourism nowadays.




Anyway, Puerto Limon remains a very attractive place, first because of the architecture, but especially because this city has nothing to do with others cities of Costa Rica! Indeed, by its location and its history, Limon has become a typical Caribbean city, with a Jamaican lifestyle and population. The only place of Costa Rica where you expect to meet Bob Marley at each street corner, and it is even craziest during the Carnival! But this is the richness of Costa Rica, its diversity!







What’s happening in Lemon?







Today, Puerto Limon port really needs a relooking as it is old and not competitive compared to its potential. Costa Rica has not enough resources for this kind of renovation, so the government launched an invitation to tender for this project. We are talking about a $800 billion venture, and several international corporations are already interested in this opportunity, such as for example Dubai Ports, Marina Evergreen from Taiwan and Hutchison Whampoa from Hong Kong.



This renovation project is obviously a great opportunity for the economy and the activity in this part of Costa Rica. Still, there are different factors to consider in this project. First, even if it would be a substantial income for the country, this issue means a new private ownership from a foreigner company and involves questions. Can we be sure that it will also benefit to Costa Rican? Will they be respectful of the environment and the nature around which makes the beauty of the country?




Of course, this renovation will reduce the importations costs and will allow local producers to be more competitive on the international market.

This renovation will definitely be beneficial for the community of Puerto Limon, but we have to be careful of the possible consequences of such a project, especially on the long-term.







Romain.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb