Day 3: Tortuguero – Experiencing the true rainforest on our canoe tour and day hike


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Canoe Tour Canoe Tour Canoe Tour

Leaving the dock
Today we are heading out for an early morning canoe tour and day hike. The gloomy weather outside guaranteed that there was going to be a 100% chance of rain that day. So, I prepared my camera with my own plastic rain cover and used the dry bag provided by Tortuguero Tours as extra protection.

Renata’s phone was still not working. Jessica, from Tortuguero Tours suggested that we try to place the phone in rice to help remove the humidity. So after the canoe tour, Renata and I are heading to the local store to buy some rice.

At the Tortuguero Tours office we were treated to some fresh fruits and coffee while Jessica went to get our National park entrance tickets. We were also given binoculars to help us locate animals in the distance.

On our canoe tour in Tortuguero National Park, we spotted a Jesus Christ Lizard and some sloths, monkeys and birds all while getting soaked by torrential downpours. By the end of the tour, we were drenched from head to toe. Nevertheless, it was an incredible experience. We experienced the true tropical rainforest in the dry season.

Back at our hotel we showered and changed, yet again. We were going through all our clothes in a matter of days. Then we headed out for lunch. The restaurant we ate at was still serving breakfast, so we both had some delicious Costa Rican Gallo’s pinto Casados and freshly made fruit shakes.

Our day hike had to be delayed because of the rain. The rain finally diminished in the late afternoon. Since the National Park trails were muddy and wet from the rain, Renata and I rented rubber boats to prevent our shoes from getting wet and dirty again. The day hike was peaceful and calming and the rain actually decided to cooperate. We only had small showers throughout the tour. We walked through pathways where the water was up to foot deep and saw some monkeys, birds and an iguana.

Tomorrow, we head back to San Jose for the start of our MacServe Volunteer trip to the Cloud Forest in Monteverde.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

Shakes and Casados
Lunch Lunch
Lunch

Shakes and Casados
Day WalkDay Walk
Day Walk

Leaf Cutter Ants
Day Walk PhoneDay Walk Phone
Day Walk Phone

Tree Hugger Iguana


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb