Tortuguero


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

TortugueroTortugueroTortuguero

Fog rolling in over mountains. Taken on bus from San Jose to Ciari.
Hello. We made a last minute decision yesterday and decided to head to the northern Caribbean coast. We are on a little island called Tortuguero. We took a 2 hour bus ride to Ciari from San Jose, then we went to Pavona on another bus which was almost 2 hours. Rain all the way and really bad roads. We were bouncing the whole way. Once in Pavona, we waited about 2 hours for a boat to take us to Tortuguero. The boat ride was about one and a half hours in the rain and the dark. I guess there are crocodiles and caymans but we could not see much. Found a hostel that was around $10 per person so we took it. I guess because it is an island and very remote, it costs a little more here. We took a walking tour through the Tortuguero National Park and we saw very little. We talked with a local and he said that we need to go very early in the morning or later in the afternoon. We plan on going back. There are monkeys and toucans to see.
This island is beautiful. One side is river and the other side all
TortugueroTortugueroTortuguero

Mollie and Macayla on boat to Tortuguero.
ocean. It takes less than a five minute walk from the river to the ocean. So much for it being the ´winter´ season here, it is very, very hot here. The rainforest is hot and humid, still fun though.
Roosters, chickens, and dogs run wild here and they are literally everywhere. There are no cars and taking a boat is the norm. We have bought tickets for tonights turtle walk. Turtles are numerous right now so we should be able to see some. We are really excited but we cannot take any photos to share with you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Room at Hostel Princesca.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

View walking up to the beach.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Macayla on the palm tree walkway.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Another view walking toward the beach.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Typical Tortuguero home.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Picture from the beach.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

More beautiful scenery.
TortugueroTortuguero
Tortuguero

Fresh fruit stand.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb