Off to Tortuguero


Advertisement
Published: February 10th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Up and out by 6 am, we were on our way to Tortuguero. We left San Jose and crossed the mountains to the Caribbean. About half way into the drive we stopped for breakfast at a restaurant owned by the company that also owns the Evergreen Lodge where we were spending the next two nights. After eating breakfast we explored area around the restaurant and found a sloth resting in a tree and poison dart frogs along the ground.

From the restaurant we continued on our way to the river at LaPavona where we boarded a boat to take us to our accommodations at the Hotel Evergreen. As we traveled to La Pavona we passed a number of banana plantations. The ride along the canal took about 1 1/2 hours as we watched for and photographed wildlife along the way. There were numerous birds including snowy egrets and little blue herons, caiman, lizards and iguanas along the river. After arriving at the hotel, we enjoyed lunch before boarding a boat for a trip to the village of Tortuguero for a walking tour and some time to explore on our own. The only way to Tortuguero is by plane or boat. We were fortunate to see several Great Green Macaws while in the village. The village lies on the Caribbean and is an important nesting place for the sea turtles of the area.

With time to explore the hotel grounds before dinner, we found several White-faced or Capuchin Monkeys and a Spider Monkey in the trees.

Our accommodations were more than adequate with bed and bath, but no air conditioning. A ceiling fan and windows with only screens provided us the needed cooling for comfort. The buildings were surrounded by jungle complete with jungle noises.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb