Hostels and hammocks and tents, oh my!


Advertisement
Published: December 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent our last night in Cahuita at a restaurant called Miss Edith´s which served traditional Caribbean fare. The rain had subsided a little and we were lucky that for outr walk to the bus stop the next morning it was dry overhead. It is a short bus ride to Puerto Viejo de Talamanca where we are staying at the moment and will be till just after Xmas. It was a long walk with our backpacks to Rocking J´s hammock hostel, where tragically (enter sarcasm) they had lost our booking and we didn’t have hammocks reserved after all. Even worse (the sarcasm is dripping now) they had tents available too! Emma and I re therefore sharing a tent, which has to be the most surreal experience ever as the tents are “pitched” less than half a metre away from each other and cover an entire floor of the building. The whole building, though sheltered by tin roofs is open air. Sophie is in a hammock (this is totally her decision, though I think she´s bonkers).

The hostel is an amazing place. Everywhere has been built up and decorated by past guests, it is covered in mosaic from top to bottom and even the tables have photos, articles and souvenirs on them all covered in a thick resin. I will have to take some better photos to show just how unique the place is.

Our luck with the weather was about to change. As we walked back from a little exploratory walk where we bumped into Carl and Jane again, the heavens began to open. The rain has not stopped since and can only be described as monsoon like! It does explain why the country is so verdantly green despite the extreme heat!

Our first night at J´s there can only be described as “rocking!” An impromptu acoustic guitar set from one of the guests turned into party night in the hostel bar. I was charged with the maracas and shook them for all they were worth. After the hostel shut down for the night we headed on to Jhonny´s (sic) disco where I discovered a strange affinity for Reggae - and still had my maracas! We were dancing and shaking till dawn! Never has crawling into a tent felt so good!

This morning it still hasn´t stopped raining and it seems to be raining up as well as down as the water bounces up off the street. We have one more night in Rocking J´s before moving on to our posh Xmas place, for posh read has its own bathroom!

As you can see I have finally been able to upload some pictures and have added to the previous journal so scroll back and have a look at the adventures in pure technicolour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

At Jhonny´s discoAt Jhonny´s disco
At Jhonny´s disco

The girls, Beanie (from Cheltenham!) and brothers Lauren and Alain (from Switzerland)


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb