Leaving our mark


Advertisement
Published: December 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The heavens have still not chosen to close so we spent the day yesterday avoiding puddles as we walked round the area looking at knick knacks and eating of course. In the afternoon we got chatting to 'J' himself who told us how all his friends thought he was mad when he came down to Costa Rica and basically bought a patch of swamp to build a hammock hotel on. He had to cart truck loads of dirt to level the ground, and then just began building. As we had suspected the "interior design" has been a group effort from all previous guests, and to leave our mark on the place Sophie, Emma and I made our own mosaic circles. Bad connections mean once more the photos will have to wait. I made a demonic monkey, with my name and the year, Sophie immortalised the small hand gang and Emma made a representation of her tattoo. It was great fun though I dread to think what the risk assessment would be considering we were breaking up tiles with hammers and doing it all with our bare hands!!

That night the United Nations met to discuss arrangements for Xmas day - representatives were there from Switzerland, Sweden, England, America, Australia and canada. I have to admit I don't think we are going t be able to cook a three course meal for 14 people on two hot plates, but hey...anything's possible in Costa Rica baby!!

Today was another rainy, grey and depressing day. We ran round like lunatics trying to get food for tomorrow, change travellers cheques, go Xmas shopping for secret santa gifts and check in to our new place. We just about managed to do it all and make it to Rocking J's for jungle juice and Xmas dinner! Our Xmas "luxury" cabin, is all the more appreciated after the two nights of tents and hammocks and raina nd noisy neighbours. We have one large room with a double and single bed - I´m bunking in with Sophie, and, bliss, our own bathroom with HOT water. It really makes you appreciate the creature comforts. We also have a fridge and a tv, hurrah! We have stocked the fridge up with some "bubbly" for Xmas morning and loads of veg for our contribution to dinner tomorrow - soup! The girl on reception must have thought we were absolutely bonkers as we walked in with vast amounts of shopping bags, especially as there are no cooking facilities in our room!

Xmas dinner was amazing, about 50 of us sat round the crazy tables eating, drinking and getting VERY merry! Jungle Juice rules - buy a cup for c1000 (one pound), head to the giant cooler on the floor and fill your cup as many times as you dare. Be warned, Jungle Juice tastes only of fruit, and yet we were informed there was somethjing like 30 litres of vodka in it!! It was yummy, and although we were merry, we were sensible and stopped drinking before we´d had too much - although that might be becasue it ran out! There were free party hats, although we had to return them at the end of the night, which is a shame, becasue mine really suited me and I could have seen myself wearing back home (not). We were sitting with a crazy American couple who were recently married. There is hope for internet dating as Matt and Jennifer met on match.com. Not sure how long this marriage will last as they were both on their fourth spouse each!

WE stayed up till about half one first singing cheesy Xmas anthems and then the guitars came out and we sang random songs. We went to bed on Christmas day hoping that when we woke up the rain might have gone...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Giant pigsGiant pigs
Giant pigs

One moment there, the next gone, these giant pigs were just out enjoying a wallow in the rainy mud
I think I can see Santa!I think I can see Santa!
I think I can see Santa!

Or it may be the effects of too much Jungle juice
Christmas Rocking J styleChristmas Rocking J style
Christmas Rocking J style

J is in the red shirt, about to set fire to my hair with his "cigarette" - not exactly sure who the woman behind him is, but she seems to be having a good time!
NewlywedsNewlyweds
Newlyweds

Matt and Jennifer (and me and Em)
Carol singingCarol singing
Carol singing

It sounded really good, honest!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb