The Atlantic Coast


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Limón » Cahuita
October 30th 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

My past week was spent on the beautiful sunny Atlantic coast, which accommodated my first few days of no rain and blistering heat. My first stop was Cahuita, and on the way we stopped in Limon, a big port town, to take a break from the bus. We were getting off, when all of a sudden there was smoke everywhere, from behind which a group of riot police emerged herding us indoors. Turns out they were firing off tear gas at a bunch of protesters that were rioting against a pro-upper class government reform. After the chaos settled, and we were back on the bus, a local beside me explained that this makes him proud to be a Costa Rican, because they actually have the freedom to protest, where as neighbouring countries don´t have that same right.

Cahuita is a beautiful reggae infused fishing town with an completely laid back vibe. I met up with this Quebecois guy, Sebastien, and we roomed together for $6 a night. I snorkelled the following morning, gorgeous marine life (Cahuita hosts the only reef in Costa Rica), and I hiked the national park in the afternoon.

After a quick bus trip, and a nice 40 minute boat ride, I arrived in Punta Mona, an organic farm run by an American couple. An interesting place, everything was based around sustainability and eco-awareness. They even had a excersize bike you could pedal that turned a washing machine for your clothes. However, the lack of cold beer and nothing but rice and lentils shortened my stay to only two nights, and after a layover in Puerto Viejo (and our bus being pulled over and everyone having to get off and get their bags and passports checked by the not so friendly police) I´m finally back in San Jose for two nights getting ready to head upto Nicaragua.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb