More Sloths


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Limón » Cahuita
February 22nd 2010
Published: February 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our second week at the sancutary was a bit quieter than the first week.  At the beginning of the week, some of our new friends left-and new volunteers arrived. In addition to our feeding and cleaning activities, we also helped out with some yardwork and everyones favorite-exercising the babies.  The little ones have a jungle gym for climbing practice, and sometimes they get some climbing exercise on a small tree in the grassy area. You may notice some of the sloths look a bit orange - its a homeopathic treatment for mange. Its made from achote, and helps to soothe the itching and irritation.

Midweek, we took a day off and went into Cahuita to do some banking and grab an espresso. On the afternoon, we walked to the beach that is close to the volunteer house. Its about a 15-20minute walk.  The beach is a black sand beach and we basically had the beach to ourselves. The water was really warm and the waves were a good size. We were glad to have a little break in the routine. 

It rained on our last morning, and the sloths were very agitated (they dont care for rainy days).  The morning cleaning was a bit more challenging than usual, as the sloths were very active and were climbing all around us in their enclosures.  After their feeding we packed up, had a light lunch and got a ride to our next stop-Puerto Viejo.  It was hard to say good-bye to the sloths and all the amazing people we met there.  We had a fantastic couple of weeks-here's some more pics of some of our favorite sloth moments. 😊

More to come shortly...
     


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



23rd February 2010

:)
Wow, I can see where it was hard to leave these little cute critters.And yes that looks like the orchid that Bob got to bloom again. Just love traveling with you on these blogs. Great job!!!!
24th February 2010

Hi there
Hey guys! Looks like you are having a great time. We've been following your posts. I love the sloths. Who knew they are so adorable and interesting? It's a whopping 30 some degrees today here. I know you're jealous. All is well. Looking forward to see where you go next.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb