Day 2 - Canopy tour and night walk


Advertisement
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What's a visit to CR without hanging like monkeys over the canopy either from a massive suspended bridge (thanks to Carlos!) and/or a 1 km long cable: welcome to the land of treetop walkways and zip lines; what an adrenalin rush!! Can't forget the Tarzan Swing ~ we are in the jungle! At one point Darren said: "I've never been this wet and miserable, but never so happy at the same time". That sums it all! This was only the beginning! After our late pizza lunch in Santa Elena, Miumm! we went back to our B&B where we were suppose to rest. Instead, the kids went chasing whatever by the creek and hung out on a simple tree platform while Darren fell into a panic after realizing he left his camera in the taxi. Nico's bloody nose, stained clothes must have been a distraction when we got out of the taxi (we are traveling very light on clothes ~ Yes, believe it or not Lina is able to do that!!). Nonetheless, after a few phone calls by Randall, he saved the day, the trip! ~ the blog would have been boring without any pics. Needless to say, the camera bag is tied to the backpack from now on!Later, it was time for a Night Walk. Who thinks of walking in the dark with a forest full of creatures and creepy sounds! Many animals in this area are nocturnal so this is the best time to see them and this was certainly true for us. We saw a tarantula, a sloth (believe it or not, it was sleeping!) Not surprising as they sleep 18 hours a day, only come down a tree once a week to do their business. That said, we saw another sloth that was actually moving, maybe didn't like the wind on the top branch; pretty spectacular! But that's not all, we saw an opossum, a coati, a walking stick bug, a funky leaf-like bug, an emerald toucan and some leaf cutter ants ~ we thought we had a problem in our house, should have seen the numerous ant hills for this colony!

What a day ... Kids claimed it was the best day of their life! It's only our first day!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.56s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.5217s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb